Rating - 100%
161   0   0
What to get glass or acrylic ....after my last disaster ...I'm thinking about 84x36x30. I'm debating after my last 300 gallon glass tank leaking of going with acrylic instead of glass ..what would u go with ? What's the downfalls to acrylic ?they seam like they would be stronger than glass .besides the scratching part

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I think you know my choice...acrylic, been using them since 1991.
But I would suggest only 24"-27" tall...30" is a PITA to clean, and the additional depth requires thicker more expensive acrylic.
Scratches can be kept to a minimum, and unlike glass they can be sanded/buffed out
Some of my tanks are over 20 yrs old and they still buff out like new

clasystems

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Love acrylic but dont assume its stronger. The fabricator can easily mess it up. My tank is 38" tall and 1" thick with mitered corners for a clean look. I cant imagine doing a reef in something this high. I would not do anything over 30in. If you are over 18in length make sure you got side access. I constantly find myself stretched out laying on top of my tank trying to get to things. Also IF you can do it dont use sand on the front side of the tank. What I do is let my MP60's blast the front for an hour or so and clear the sand everyday so essentially I got a DSB in the back and nothing in the front.

oseymour

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
An acrylic tank is way clearer than a starphire tank, they literally glow with the light coming from them.

So I guess the 180 build I'm planning is going to be an acrylic tank then.

I have starphire and I love the clarity but it has a few scratches and it's annoying. I like the fact that I can repair acrylic.

Can it be done with the fish in it?

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
If you're going to get an acrylic tank you want to buy these magnet sleeves. They go over the magnet and they make clean the glass super easy, not to mention because they don't completely press against the glass they wouldn't scratch the tank if you happen to pick up sand.

http://www.championlighting.com/home.php?cat=1685
see-clear-sleeves.jpg

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
I think your stand is good for 7' long tank and can go slightly wider than 36" with a 28" height to fit your existing stand. I would probably go for 1" thick acrylic. The beauty is the weight compared to glass is about 1/2 and acrylic is a good insulator and you can buff out the scratches.

James983

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I know it's a long shot, but does anyone have tips on how to remove scratches below the water line? I have several even though I only use a credit card to clean the acrylic. Thanks.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: