mk4fan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I've been losing the battle when it comes to local bought fish. They either have ich, flukes, marine velvet.....

I have a QT tank, I buy these fish and then attempt to treat and then lose them. It is very frustrating to take so much effort in treating and then end up dying.

I was told that Liveaquaria pre treats all their fish before selling them, so are they really healthier and this is the reason why they charge almost double for their fish?

Also I like the fact they have a 14 day guarantee.

If you ordered from Liveaquaria please provide your thoughts.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
These would be the fish that they offer in the Diver Den. On their web site there is a link that tell how they treat all their fish. Not only are they treating them but they're also holding onto the fish for a while to make sure that it's healthy and is eating, something that a lot of place can't, or don't, do. So you're paying for this service, which for some people is a big thing, there are also coupons and sales on fish, especially if it's been listed for a while, that can bring the price down some what, so you need to look out for them.

I would probably still QT some of their fish but for the people that can't QT their fish they're a good alternative.

mk4fan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
These would be the fish that they offer in the Diver Den. On their web site there is a link that tell how they treat all their fish. Not only are they treating them but they're also holding onto the fish for a while to make sure that it's healthy and is eating, something that a lot of place can't, or don't, do. So you're paying for this service, which for some people is a big thing, there are also coupons and sales on fish, especially if it's been listed for a while, that can bring the price down some what, so you need to look out for them.

I would probably still QT some of their fish but for the people that can't QT their fish they're a good alternative.

Okay great thank you for the information! If only our LFS would adopt these practices, I would not mind paying more for fish from them.

If you buy locally becareful of flukes, which is not easily seen like ich or marine velvet. Also prazipro only works for some strains of flukes, only hyposalinity kills the other strain. Ask me how I know...... :)

ourcoralreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
90% of my fish purchases is from liveaquaria i like them allot i never got a sick fish from them (and i buy regular not from divers-den) i like you was tired of getting sick fish so took a chance a couple of years ago i have been happy ever since and their 14 day guaranty is real they don't give you the run around most companies do and they will reship once on them its a great company and for the most part will only buy fish from them look at there weekly sales for fish on sale and wait until you get a couple of fish that your interested in

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
If you don't buy from the DD then the fish that you're getting one is coming out of California and is no different then other places. There is a much better chance of getting a fish that has something that way then if you brought from the DD. They also have a habit of sending you the wrong fish too.

ourcoralreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I have been buying from them for years and i swap out my fish every couple of months i have purchased allot of fish from them and not even one came sick all of their fish is quarantined and checked before shipping (don't know for how long) i have gotten orders on back order because they felt the fish wasn't healthy enough to ship the only things
The only reason i see buying from divers den is if i want a fish a specific size (1" not bigger not smaller ) or pattern (like designer clownfish) or when coral goes on sale only then would i buy from DD otherwise buy regular never had a issue
By the way a fish needs to be quarantined for 6 weeks with no sickness bacteria or parasite in a closed system with no other fish introduced in order for the quarantine to be effective

rich

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I try to choose DD but sometimes you can't if they dont have what you want for months there. That being said, my DD fish have never died though they have from their regular site but that could have just been bad luck

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Live Aquaria and particularly the Diver's Den is unquestionably the best place to buy fish on-line. The packing and shipping sets the industry standard and the care of the livestock at Diver's Den is unmatched. The non-Diver's den stuff is primarily ( exclusively?) from Quality Marine which is one of the best LA wholesalers, so even these animals are generally a lot better than from other places. Customer service is also great, and Live Aquaria has been a good friend to MR over the years. In this case, you do get what you pay for.

If you want a local source that treats their fish with similar care, check out Kenny at Pieces of the Ocean ( POTO). His stock is limited and often of the high-end variety, but he does a great job with the animals.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I have been buying from them for years and i swap out my fish every couple of months i have purchased allot of fish from them and not even one came sick all of their fish is quarantined and checked before shipping (don't know for how long) i have gotten orders on back order because they felt the fish wasn't healthy enough to ship the only things
The only reason i see buying from divers den is if i want a fish a specific size (1" not bigger not smaller ) or pattern (like designer clownfish) or when coral goes on sale only then would i buy from DD otherwise buy regular never had a issue
By the way a fish needs to be quarantined for 6 weeks with no sickness bacteria or parasite in a closed system with no other fish introduced in order for the quarantine to be effective

There is a big difference between buying fish from the DD and off of LA regular site. All the fish from the DD are quarantined and checked before shipping, not to mention eating too. Read up on their process, which is listed on their web site. All of the fish that you're buying off of the site come from California and are no different then if you use another site to purchase them.

The DD offers a great services, which you do pay for, but for certain fish it's worth it not to mention peace of mind. Someone that can't QT their fish, space issues or just can't keep the fish alive during the QT, it's well worth the additional cost, and the 14 day guarantee, which if the fish is having some issue you can get them to extend it, just makes it better.

Last edited:

ourcoralreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
There is a big difference between buying fish from the DD and off of LA regular site. All the fish from the DD are quarantined and checked before shipping, not to mention eating too. Read up on their process, which is listed on their web site. All of the fish that you're buying off of the site come from California and are no different then if you use another site to purchase them.

The DD offers a great services, which you do pay for, but for certain fish it's worth it not to mention peace of mind. Someone that can't QT their fish, space issues or just can't keep the fish alive during the QT, it's well worth the additional cost, and the 14 day guarantee, which if the fish is having some issue you can get them to extend it, just makes it better.

I purchase allot from them
(Actually have a fish and coral arriving tomorrow)

Not arguing if dd is a great service but i would only use it if i wanted to choose a specific pattern or exact size (my opinion)

im saying that their regular fish are just as healthy (never a sick fish)
i don't agree that its the same as other sites because i have gotten sick fish from other sites never from liveaquaria i have had some fish die but no bacteria or parasites

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
You don't seem to understand the difference between the two, and what is done with the fish that appear on DD. As Randy already posted, when you order fish from LA website, not DD, Quality Marine, who is a wholesalers out in LA, fills the order just as they do for others, not to mention they sell to other stores too.

rich

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I purchase allot from them
(Actually have a fish and coral arriving tomorrow)

Not arguing if dd is a great service but i would only use it if i wanted to choose a specific pattern or exact size (my opinion)

im saying that their regular fish are just as healthy (never a sick fish)
i don't agree that its the same as other sites because i have gotten sick fish from other sites never from liveaquaria i have had some fish die but no bacteria or parasites

what fish and coral do you have coming from them ?

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
i have purchased allot of fish from them and not even one came sick all of their fish is quarantined and checked before shipping (don't know for how long)

Not true...LiveAquaria/Quality Marine do not QT their fish...

those same fish are also wholesaled to and available at many LFSs...

I have also used LA for many years but there have been DOAs, sick fish and deaths during and after guarantee period...

nuch

Babe it was on sale!
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
Live aquaria

Excellent experience everytime from them. My last purchase was hippo tang (size of a quater), yellow tang yellow wrasse, Leopard wrasse, starie blenny, cleaner shrimp. All did great and still alive. Now 5 months. Never thought the hippo would last it was so small. I didn't qt them just acclimated them.

rich

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I was wondering if for hard to feed fish like some tangs or even some clown gobies divers den would make sure the fish eat so it would be a win win for the hobbiest.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
For the fish that are hard to get eating they usually list that the fish is eating and what it's eating. They will hold back a fish that isn't doing well, even for something minor, like a ripped fin, instead of sending it out. I have order a couple of fish and they did this, one they eventually wouldn't ship to me as they wanted to hold it for a month or so to see if it OK instead of shipping it out. So for that point they're very very good.

In the end, for certain fish the DD is well worth spend the extra $$$.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I bought a clean up crew from them last week, must say that their packing is awesome, snails on the small side but whatever.. Happy with the purchase. I can't bring myself to buy fish from them. I can easily get the same fish for 1/2 the price locally and witness them feeding and visually inspect.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: