SALTCREEP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.8%
242   3   1
I have a tank in my room and also in my livingroom. The apex is in my room and I want to add a 2nd EB8 so I can control my livingroom tank also. Where can I get a usb cable that's 50 feet and also which cable is compatible?

lskywalker5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I would not risk frying your apex by using a USB. They are different. Try using an apex wire in a computer - they wont work. it is NOT a USB connection. It carries power at a higher voltage than USB and the power it carries is used to power some Neptune boxes.

lskywalker5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I looked into it further, because the people who used the modules with arduino used a regular USB 2 cable. It does work; and the label only states that plugging the cable into a computed would fry it, because it has no way to accept the incoming information. That being said, a USB 2 would be able to carry enough power, as long as it doesn't have a powered repeater.

BKLYNREEF123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
From page 11 and 12 of the Neptune Comprehensive Refrence manual.

https://www.neptunesystems.com/downloads/docs/Comprehensive_Reference_Manual.pdf

The AquaBus can be a total of 200? in length giving you ample
opportunities to locate the modules in convenient locations.
Version: 5.0 Page 12
Most of the bus and power cables are 6? but you can source longer USB cables on the Internet. You have to make
sure there are no powered repeaters on long cables as this will damage the base unit.

skireef

Reefing since 1991
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have used connectors and spliced cables directly to get lengths up to 35 feet. Used standard USB cables with NO effect on the system. I had plenty of old computer cables with the USB connector on one side and the printer connector on the other, no worries.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: