lskywalker5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hey guys, I was previously running a 20l, with a 10gal sump. I had a really bad bacterial bloom, and took that as a sign to upgrade to the ~60 gallon I had sitting in my living room for a year. I attempted to do it all in one day; trying to both save my fish/coral, and to please my upgrade demon lol. It ended up taking two days, and two LONG nights. When I first set things up, I didn't have enough water to make 70 gallons, so I had to wait for that. I wake up the next morning to find the tank I held my coral in FREEZING. I immediately check the plug, and it turns out the heater is bad. I swap out the heaters, praying that all my corals are holding on for another few hours. I final have the water. being the impatient person I am, I mix the water in the tank, putting the salt in the DT, and the water in the sump, and pumping it up. The salt I used was IO reef crystals, even though I usually use regular IO. The first problem I run into is a leak in the bulkhead. It takes a good half hour to tighten, and seal the bulkhead. I then continue to fill the tank to the drain, and I see that the pump is pumping faster then the bulkhead is draining. They are both 2.5" holes, with a mag 7.5 as the return pump. I see if I can just drain a little water back into the sump, by shutting off the pump for three seconds, and it doesn't turn on again. This floods a good five-ten gallons onto the floor of my 20 story apt building... Keep in mind, this happens more then once. I remembers I had one of those valve that keep the flow in one direction, so I dismember the PVC, and I put that in. I let it dry for about four hours. It's now about ten at night, and I cant seem to find a way to get the flow regulated, but realize it's just a kink in the vinyl tubing. After about one hour of trying to fix something that was right in front of me, I realize that it's making this TERRIBLE slurping noise. When I finish googling about fixes for about another hour, I figure out that all I need to do is add a ball valve in front of the pump, so it restricts the slow only by a little. I would say it's about midnight, and with water everywhere I only had one dry power strip this entire time. It wasn't powering the heater in my holding tank. When I go to put in the fish and coral, to see what's still alive, I notice the water is cloudy as hell. It's been like that since I added the salt. Being as exhausted as I was, I chose just to add the fish in, by temperature acclimating them. I throw them in the tank that looks like NYC on Feb 9th. When I wake up the next morning, their's a disgusting smell coming from the holding tank. Both of my RBTAs died, and basically nuked the tank (I'm guessing). I start fishing out corals, and notice that every single one of them has little to no flesh, and the ones that do have flesh, are extremely sick looking. I choose to toss them into the tank (which is only a little less cloudy) anyways. It's been a rough two days, and nights for me, and my fish. All my fish are fine, except my yellow tang. He looks stressed, and is only staying in a corner. Any thoughts? if anyone wants to take a look at the corals that are holding on, they are welcome to come over, and pick what they want. I just ask that if it does survive, they don't sell the frags, but post it in DBTC.

Here's a list off the top of my head:
- Zoas:
Sunny D's
Vivid Rainbow's
Devils Armor
Rastas
Gbay packers
Scrambled Eggs
Utter Chaos
24k's
Dragon eyes
Radioactive dragon eyes
(most likely a few more kinds.)

- SPS
Sunset monti
Jedi mindtrick monti
Chili pepper monti
Sunset mili
Forestfire Digi
(Most SPS I have are from Sunny, I don't know the names of the others, but they are really good looking.)

- LPS
Lots of different kinds of hammers
Frog Spawn
A few nice chalices that I don't know the names of, I just paid a nice amount, because they look nice
elegance coral
A few Acans
(Most likely more that I cant remember)

I also have one cleaner shrimp that is doing terrible. He looks like hes dead, but I think hes in shock. He moves around when you go near him.

Thanks, Luke

TLDR: my tank crashed and I ****ed up a lot of coral in the process. Has this ever happened to anyone?

guarda

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Don't give up yet. I've been through this during Sandy and wish someone were around that had more experience just to give me a few pointers. Anyway, if you aren't too far from me, I'm happy to swing by after work and help for a bit. I can bring a power strip, heater, and return pump you can borrow. You should always have spares of these things.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Wow, one of those domino effects happened.
Run a filter sock and rinse daily. Plan on some water changes
Gotta love how ppl in the hobby are willing to help fellow reefers.
Better than a one way valve is a siphon break.
A one inch drain should be able to handle whatever a mag 7 can throw at it

lskywalker5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The death toll:
b98e6fba065af867eb72f8f6537836d9.jpg
988a3bb85591d05762927edfa1369ac8.jpg

As well as my cleaner shrimp (dr.pendelton), and my yellow tang (bang bang) RIP :(
This is the tank. I'm waiting on the coral to open so I can see what is what.
d33f61ce34b44561f954d72a82e97564.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rich

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I don't have a ton of fragable stuff but can make some for you when you are ready. I think we live in the same zip code. :)

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
I'd be more than willing to help in anyway possible.i can fix the plumbing (by building a manifold ),I have a few empty frag racks and can hold all the remaining corals for you till your tank is up to par to house them again,give you whatever advice and pointers needed..let me know what you need I'm here for ya

lskywalker5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks again guys, I have the plumbing down for the frag tank. I ordered dr tims, so I think I'll be alright, I'll just monitor closely. Next week I plan to plumb the DT, and the refuge. I think I'm going to give it another 2-3 months to establish, and so I can get used to the system. I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks so much again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: