tnc112105

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I'm trying to get some advice from the community regarding some of the most invasive species of corals in our hobby. I am starting fresh after a small frag of blue clove polyps exploded and completely took over my 55 gallon reef. I suffered with those miserable things for 3 years before reaching my breaking point and starting over. I goes without saying that I am not interested in going through that again!

I know most species of zoas/palys can get out of control so in my new tank my zoa colonies are being isolated on "islands" out of reach of the main rockwork. What are some of the lesser known invasive species that can take over the tank of an unsuspecting aquarist?

meherbas

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
everything can become invasive if given more than suitable conditions , some grow passively smoothering coral others agressively stinging killing other coral , i'd say stay away from the majority of softies (mushrooms kenya tree, daisy poylps,)(minus leathers) and encrusting coral ( like leptastrea,cyphastrea,encrusting montis etc.) focus on LPS, SPS(thicker skeletons), leathers.

tnc112105

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I was afraid of that - I actually have some large pieces of superman monti (I think), montipora spongodes, and orange mushrooms I salvaged from the old tank. I think the hubby might be annoyed if I get rid of the orange mushrooms, since they're his favorite, but maybe I should think about getting rid of the montis before they start encrusting.

meherbas

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
i'd just keep them on rock islands along the sand or detachable rocks from the main structure,mushrooms aren't bad, most of the time they keep dividing next to each other and worst case scenario start to detach and find a new spot, but they can be pruned/fragged along the foot with a pair of scissors/razor. as for getting rid of stuff i wouldn't really bother just keep in mind where you are placing them and have a game plan for and if they start to spread like wildfire
even in my tank i have softies and encrusting , but i either propagate/ frag them often, and trade them out to newbies,stores or ppl that want big colonies fast.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: