ghenzler23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I've been reefing for over two years now. I love the hobby! However, I really want to experience some success with higher end corals (mainly sps,chalices, etc.). What equipment is a necessity to have and why? How do I know that the location in my tank is good spot? I don't know why I'm not able to achieve any success (I have a skimmer and a good light). Any advice is welcomed.

ghenzler23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I know my nitrates are way too high. Any idea a good way to lower them and keep them low?

How about my Calcium and KH?

Tank: All in one (no sump)
Lights: Radion Gen 1
Skimmer: Aquamax
Powerhead: Hydor 450
Salt: Instant Ocean
Salinity: 1.025 (about, I can get an exact measurement when I get home)
Water changes: I generally use nutri-seawater to do a five gallon water change every week - 2 weeks

I will post a pic of my system when I get home.

I really appreciate the help guys.

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
I know my nitrates are way too high. Any idea a good way to lower them and keep them low?

How about my Calcium and KH?

Tank: All in one (no sump)
Lights: Radion Gen 1
Skimmer: Aquamax
Powerhead: Hydor 450
Salt: Instant Ocean
Salinity: 1.025 (about, I can get an exact measurement when I get home)
Water changes: I generally use nutri-seawater to do a five gallon water change every week - 2 weeks

I will post a pic of my system when I get home.

I really appreciate the help guys.

What percentage are you running your radion gen 1? Seems like you have everything it takes to keep a successful reef. Perhaps you are not giving the sps time to adjust to your lighting or bleaching them with to much light?

Just throwing it out there, good luck.

ghenzler23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I've tried fooling around with my light to lower lighting. However, had no way of knowing whether or not I was successful in doing so. Judging by my parameters, I need to lower my calcium levels a little and by doing so raise my KH. I also, need to drastically lower my nitrates and keep them low, which I find hard. Any suggestions?

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
I've tried fooling around with my light to lower lighting. However, had no way of knowing whether or not I was successful in doing so. Judging by my parameters, I need to lower my calcium levels a little and by doing so raise my KH. I also, need to drastically lower my nitrates and keep them low, which I find hard. Any suggestions?

Perhaps you are making adjustments to quickly and to soon? Patience is key in this hobby...

How about posting a pic of your setup so we can see?

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Didn't read how high your nitrates are. How many fish you have in this tank? Also what type of live rock is in the tank was it newly seeded or established?

I would do 100% water change if I were you, think your tank needs a reset :)

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
If he does a 100% waterchange he would be back to square one and possibly have a cycle

Why would he have a mini cycle?

If his rocks are established and cycled should be no problem.

In my opinion changing out bad water for fresh is always welcomed, granted ph, temp and salinity are the same.

I used to 100% water change on my nano reefs, back in the day when eveverone said nanos couldn't be done. :)

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
I'm not doubting your ability to keep sps, you didn't answer my question.

Everyone has different methods and this is my opinion.

He has high nitrates, what is wrong with doing a 100% water change?

Last edited:

ghenzler23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Alright, so I did two water changes this week. One was around 5 gallons that was on Wednesday. After that I tested my water and my nitrates were through the roof. Yesterday I did around 10 gallons and my nitrates were through the roof still. I have coral and fish in the tank. My rock should be established. I have had this tank running since July. I'm afraid if I do 100% water change, I will entirely screw up my eco system. On top of that what would I do with my live stock? Keep them in a bucket?

ghenzler23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
So after many water changes my parameters are:

Cal. 360-380ppm
KH 107.4 ppm
Phos. 0-.25 ppm
Nitrate 40 ppm

I have a feeling my calcium is too low. I'm not sure about KH. Would a calcium reactor help with these readings?

I know my nitrates are still too high, but they have been consistently coming down with water changes. Please advise.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: