LIreefguy106

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Greetings fellow hobbyists,

So after much deliberation and frustration (as with anything in the hobby) I'm trying to modify my single BRS reactor into an algae reactor. I came up with the decision after realizing that my candy cane heads and hammers are not splitting even with everything I've tried (DT: 90g mixed reef with 15g sump, ReefOctopus skimmer, Carbon/GFO reactor, but no room for refugium). I realize that hammers barely ever split but nevertheless I have heard that candy canes are more known to growing heads. I've had mine for over a month and they're stagnant. They're plump but nothing else. Meanwhile, another hobbyist (20g hex reef) has macro growing in his display and his heads are splitting once every 2-3 weeks. That lead me to believe that the nutrients are super low and the macro is helping with the growth. Instead of having macroalgae overtake my DT, I was thinking of plumbing my extra reactor as an algae reactor. Can this be done, am I on the right track?

Pics for reference of what I'm looking to accomplish with a BRS reactor (one we've all seen before):

d23d6e11a367adf3bb988f8a5824eba9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NYC

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I've hair algae growing in the tank and had some issues with macro no growing in my sump so I've built one using these items and it's been a week now macro is growing quickly in the reactor. Also it seems like hair algae is is dying because i can peal it off easily.

Even since I stated using fish frenzy food my corals started growing a lot but also hair algae.

4cd523516f5de38ada57e05d12f6f207.png

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I don't think a BRS reactor should be used as an algae reactor.
You can certainly try to use it, but here is why I think it's not a good idea.

Reactor doesn't easily stand on its own.
I think the reactor's case is too thick. And so will prevent light penetration.
The groves on the reactor will not easily allow you to wrap the external light
Lastly, I believe the reactor is too small.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Not sure if its the best idea but may work. I just always use macro algae in my refugium even if its a small section.. As for your sump it think a 15g sump on a 90g reef is just too small. But that's my opinion. Good luck on whatever you decide. Maybe able to give some cheato in the future.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
My ans. is NO
Not much space inside the reactor.
I never like the idea to run , or make "Algae Reactor" unless your tank is 3 Gal.
To really reduce Nutrition , Po4 ,Nitrate you need a "way" more Algae to have (grow).
You got two choice
Algae Scrubber .....works great, need NOT much light but need pump, NOT much space compare to Chaetto.
Option 2
Chaetto , need high PAR light to grow well, 4 x more space than A.S. high water flow and space.

Attachments

• IMG_2076 (2040x1530).jpg
    IMG_2076 (2040x1530).jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_1973.JPG
    IMG_1973.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_1974.JPG
    IMG_1974.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 156

LIreefguy106

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Space is a restriction. I don't have room in my sump to partition off for Chaeto growth. Algae scrubber seemed like too much work when the Reactor would do the same? I saw some YouTube vids on people getting good growth from Reactors. Granted the BRS may be too small but something along those line. Thoughts?

This is the room I'm working with (I can possible relocate my dosing containers on the bottoms left onto the door or elsewhere) But for the time being this is my limitation:

Attachments

• IMG_0062.jpg
    IMG_0062.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0063.jpg
    IMG_0063.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 148

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
What are the dimensions of the sump? If you have the space in the first section (or willing to make adjustments), you can move the skimmer to first section and grow chaeto in the middle.

LIreefguy106

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
What are the dimensions of the sump? If you have the space in the first section (or willing to make adjustments), you can move the skimmer to first section and grow chaeto in the middle.

I'll have to measure it, not sure of the measurements. What about my 7" filter sock? I don't mind making adjustments

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
I use to run , one at the time, Chaetto or Algae Scrubber , i will say A.S. is more effective, less space, i run on 220 Gal. for cure 400 lb. Pukani Rocks, i will post the pic. soon, one plastic sheet for A.S. may be more effective 4 x than Chaetto Reactor, i see one for sale few weeks ago, nice Acrylic cover , all you need is one pump , one light i got (Amazon,$30, NO fans) suspended next to Protein Skimmer.

Attachments

• IMG_1983.JPG
    IMG_1983.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 110

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: