jmc1024

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some help identifying ich. Recently bought 3 new fish, flame angel, potter's angel and one spot fox face. I QTed them all for a month before putting in DT. Ran Prazi but no coper. Potter's died 2 week after moving into DT. Not sure why could have been flukes, (maybe ich but no white spots).

Now it's two week later so a month of qt and a month in my DT. Saw some small white spots on the tail of my fox face. I've seen the spots 2 separate times. HOWEVER they only last for a few HOURS. NOT DAYS. Apart from the spots his fin is a little torn (looks like someone took a nip) but he seems very healthy. Flam also has a little nip in fin but also seems healthy. Both eating swimming etc.

My main question is, is it possible that the parasites are only visible for a few hours?? I"m constantly looking at fish and looking at the tail, so there is no way I would have missed it. Was prepared to move fish into hospital tank but spot went away quickly.

I know that ich comes and goes, but I read that it lasts on the fish for a few days (not a few hours). Was thinking that maybe that I what i was mistaken for spots is just some sand or some tank debris?

Thanks,
Jay

MDreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
any pics?

Ich can be hard to see, may appear like it?s gone from different angles, light etc...
Torn fin+white spots could be fin rot but hard to tell without seeing, different fungal infections etc.

If the fish are eating well keep observing a few days to see if it?s getting worse before treating

jmc1024

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, can't get a good pic. But it's been getting a lot better. I'm thinking that spots were tank debris and that the injured fin was due to aggression possibly by some perc clowns.

No other signs of ich and the fin has been healing nicely.

Thanks for your thoughts.

MDreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
No, can't get a good pic. But it's been getting a lot better. I'm thinking that spots were tank debris and that the injured fin was due to aggression possibly by some perc clowns.

No other signs of ich and the fin has been healing nicely.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Awesome! Glad to hear that! Ich treatment is no fun lol

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
and in answer to your question about ich, yes, when they mature and pop out of the fish's skin, it looks like a grain of sand popping out, and falling off within half an hour or an hour. Then they just float off the skin with the slime. For the one you see popping off, there's probably another 10 that you missed.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: