Eddie7145

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been trying to keep wrasse , I have done my research but the keep dying on me. They hide all the time dobt come our to eat. The only one I have managed to keep is a Lubbock wrasse he barely come out but he is alive and I see him a little bit each day. What am I doing wrong

Eddie7145

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 150 gal tank with a dsb, I ha e 3 clowns, 1 tang , black cap basslets, orchids dotty back ,2 damsels,1 flame Angel. I lost n orange black wrasse, a exquisite wrasse and a flasher wrasse. The only one that survived is the Lubbock wrasse

bonomo53

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
I would get an acclimation box. The basslet, dotty back and damsels can be nasty fish and may go after the wrasses when first introduced. Most of the time wrasses tend to lay down when first put in the tank. An acclimation box will give them a chance to rest and start to eat without getting picked on.

Eddie7145

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have acclamation box and the tank is over 1o years old, the wrasse aren't harassed much at all by anyone, the basslets and dotty back don't bother then at all, the damsels give chase alittle but nothing out of the ordinary.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Make sure the Wrasses look healthy and eating before you buy next time. Note:- Collection method maybe the reason. Whoever Some wrasses are not easy to keep, some come with intestinal worms. Overall wrasses are hardy

Rating - 100%
278   0   0
you got some of the meanest fish in your tank, of course, they will hide till they die. its not an immediate harassment, its the thought of coming out into a cage fight everytime they come out which stresses them to die prematurely. flasher wrasses are pretty much like anthia they need to eat constantly. its best to just stick to fairy wrasses.

i would say if you want to be successful with wrasse, you have to restart your stock and if you want to keep those fish. REmove your current stock and put in wrasses and rearrange the rock work and put in your current fish a month or so later

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
The dotty back is probably the aggressor. but you seem to think the tank is safe enough. I find wrasses very hard to kill. the specific individual wrasses you picked up may have been sick to begin with. Make sure they are feeding well before you even put them in the tank, you have to train them to your foods. then let them live in the acclimation box, for a while, before release, even at that point, I use an acclimation box with an opening so the fish can come and go as it pleases.

Silkyslim

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
153   0   0
I don't think aggression is the issue. The Orangeback is very delicate IME as are many flashers. The Exquisite generally not. As Dre suggested, I suspect poor collection/handling. I'd bet these are Indo collected and Indo fish always run the risk of cyanide collection.

Yup. Indo collected wrasses are hit or miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
I got an orangeback as a baby about 9 months ago and he is thriving like no other. Getting big and is fat and healthy and very active fish. Beautiful to look at. As far as my experience I have never ever had any issue with a wrasse before. Comes down to two options which were mentioned, unhealthy fish or aggression by your more aggressive fish. I suspect it to be the other fish as fighting probably happened at night and the fish just became stressed and tired. Stick with easier wrasses first and then experiment. A very hardy wrasse I never had issues with was a melanarus...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: