heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Here is my simple 55 gallon mixed reef tank.

No sump, no skimmer, no refugium, no problem :)
55inwall.jpg

Pic from last year showing my only equipment, current orbit led, two 165watt blackbox led, jebao rw-8 and 200 watt heater....... And most important good husbandry :D
55inwall_03.02.17.jpg

Last edited:

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
My first tank, 7 gallon minibow back in 2003. Just an aquaclear powerfilter.
7minibow.jpg

Then upgraded to 72 gallon bowfront. This one had a hob remora skimmer and two canister filters.
72bf.jpg

Last edited:

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Nice tanks -- I'd be interested in an explanation of the equipment and maintenance routines.

I'm going to setup an SPS dominant 20 gallon tank w/out a sump shortly as well.

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Nice tanks -- I'd be interested in an explanation of the equipment and maintenance routines.

I'm going to setup an SPS dominant 20 gallon tank w/out a sump shortly as well.

I think what has worked for me now and in the past is starting with really well established live rock. And then of course making sure your parameters are on par. If you tend to overfeed like i do then up your water change schedule. I'm not looking for fast grow so I only manually dose 2 part bionic and use instant ocean salt mix and change change 20 gallons once a month.

Look forward to seeing your sumpless tank :D

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Neither of my 2 large fish tanks, 265gals, have sumps or a skimmer for that matter. Basically they have little live rock in them and are pretty much wide open. I run a FX5 and a Ehiem wet/dry canister filter on each tank and the one with really large tangs and angels I also run a Ehiem 1200XL canister filter. I feed very heavy and do about 30%-40% water change each month.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: