vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
Remove your Rocks and sand , the one whit Epoxy trow a way. I will give you Pukani cure (100 % cure) around you need 30 lb. ( Free) .
You lost everything, NO sense to keep anything , except Tank Pumps , Protein Skimmer.
Empty the tank complete , fill up whit fresh water NO need to be RO/DI , trow one bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide , run list 3 days ( NO light) .
Empty the tank , clean good , include P.S.
PM me , stop by i will give you water from my tank when i do water change,
I will give you some Frags ( Free). To bad i got rid of 22 clowns , i will give fish also.

NEVER put corals direct in your tank, Dip,dip,dip.
NEVER put water from any LFS in your tamk.
NEVER put new fish ( whit NO quarantine) in tank, HUGE challenge.
NEVER give up.:biggrin:

PM me

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ich & Dino wiped out tank!! Trying to stay positive!!

So what's the current state?? On the 4th it was spotless...did it return?

Yes weirdly the water quality is still pristine but the Dino gravitated to the corals and one corner of the sand bed on the surface ...

Tomorrow we are doing a full clean out - new everything will post updates after we finish ...def will be staying away from anything bonding material related (had some discs on rocks) and keeping sand-bed thinned out ... other than that I learned nothing about controlling Dino as most things did not work , not even my power being out and the tank temp plummeting to 60 killed it off so who knows ...very frustrating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes weirdly the water quality is still pristine but the Dino gravitated to the corals and one corner of the sand bed on the surface ...

Tomorrow we are doing a full clean out - new everything will post updates after we finish ...def will be staying away from anything bonding material related (had some discs on rocks) and keeping sand-bed thinned out ... other than that I learned nothing about controlling Dino as most things did not work , not even my power being out and the tank temp plummeting to 60 killed it off so who knows ...very frustrating

Just finished last night the tank clean out , sand and rocks replaced completely and tank cleaned thoroughly ... will go about 10 days or so fish-less and see what transpired before getting back in ...

Here is the tank , i tried going for the separate islands ...also did a different sand makeup (not crushed coral) ...I have to say I miss my rock creation before I had some great shelves and the coraline growth was exceptional ...

07279bbfd50437bc41dc35bd2633af8f.jpg

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Fingers are crossed.

Here what I?m doing to assist the new setup process ...

I?m not feeding
Water parameters in check
Only minorly dosing part A, B and Mag for coralline growth
Adding N03 4ml for preventative measures a day
Lights on 8hrs if that
Good circulation
New filter media and chemi pure
Skimmer barely pulling anything out on high since no waste being produced ..
Temp 78
Put new blinds up by window adjacent to make sure no artificial lights
Have two hermits and a blood shrimp from clean out I carried over doing fine

Last edited:

ohdanny

Just reefing
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Leave it alone for a month, don?t touch anything just do weekly water changes and top off. See if it would go away on its own. Cause for me, it went away after 2-3weeks after the new tank was up

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Leave it alone for a month, don?t touch anything just do weekly water changes and top off. See if it would go away on its own. Cause for me, it went away after 2-3weeks after the new tank was up

Tank coming along ...love the Tonga islands lol

Last edited:

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So we've collaborated with may people, forums, websites, research articles etc. on this and ive started the experimentation and weeded out all things silly to try .. as point of reference i am using this article as a starting point - not a professional by any means here and some things i disagree with but def excited to see if i can flip the switch -

Some people never see Dinos, and some go over a year fighting it - crazy ...This article was from 2010...When i was younger i never had this problem but i know i had other algae and crazy amounts of pods running around esp at night so I'm leaning towards the beneficial bacteria cure bc apparently dinos cant compete with other algae and micofaunas

nanoreefforums.com/how-to-get-rid-of-dinoflagellates/

Things i am trying now

1. Introduction of beneficial bacteria to compete with dino (just when i saw pods in my tank with the first setup, my dinos were 90% gone, still suffocating the corals and sand though so i went ahead and tore down the tank prematurely bc i couldnt take it anymore, ) Dinos can live in the tissues of corals :grumpy:

2. Dosing with 1ml per 10g peroxide 1x day

3. No water changes

4. No vodka dosing

5. Lights off 3 days min, 5 for best results

6. Skimmer running

7. After peroxide will try a white urchin for cleanup ..

8. Continuning to dose part A, B and Mag for rocks

Last edited:

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
So we've collaborated with may people, forums, websites, research articles etc. on this and ive started the experimentation and weeded out all things silly to try .. as point of reference i am using this article as a starting point - not a professional by any means here and some things i disagree with but def excited to see if i can flip the switch -

Some people never see Dinos, and some go over a year fighting it - crazy ...This article was from 2010...When i was younger i never had this problem but i know i had other algae and crazy amounts of pods running around esp at night so I'm leaning towards the beneficial bacteria cure bc apparently dinos cant compete with other algae and micofaunas

nanoreefforums.com/how-to-get-rid-of-dinoflagellates/

Things i am trying now

1. Introduction of beneficial bacteria to compete with dino (just when i saw pods in my tank with the first setup, my dinos were 90% gone, still suffocating the corals and sand though so i went ahead and tore down the tank prematurely bc i couldnt take it anymore, ) Dinos can live in the tissues of corals :grumpy:

2. Dosing with 1ml per 10g peroxide 1x day

3. No water changes

4. No vodka dosing

5. Lights off 3 days min, 5 for best results

6. Skimmer running

7. After peroxide will try a white urchin for cleanup ..

8. Continuning to dose part A, B and Mag for rocks

Good , except peroxide, kill GOOD bacteria also

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Another use for hydrogen peroxide in the tank is in the form of dosing to eliminate cyanobacteria and dinoflagellates. These simple organisms seem to be eliminated through careful and minimal dosing of hydrogen peroxide. The dosing rule of thumb tends to be 1 ml per 10 gallons of water.(Applies to 3% only) The Peroxide should be dosed daily until the problem has been dealt with. This seems to work well for many hobbyists as it eliminates the problem algae and in some cases improves water clarity. Dosing in all cases must be carefully monitored any negative effects must be watched out for and emergency water changes on stand by are recommended.

I agree with above however i disagree with the fact he recommends water changes which only fuel up dinos again

Also a reefer who tested this theory using 30% H202 ...doesn't seem to harm much ..I guess moral is to carefully watch tank, since i have no fish i don't have to worry as much ...except for the pods which i need to flourish in conjunction which is unproven if they are effected -

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f77/long-term-hydrogen-peroxide-dosing-in-a-reef-tank-178294.html

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
Back to same advise , high PH is the key, 8.2 up. I have Scope , i found most of Dino in some friends tanks hide in low water flow and low PH , zero Nitrate and zero PO4.
Dose Pods, help.

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Back to same advise , high PH is the key, 8.2 up. I have Scope , i found most of Dino in some friends tanks hide in low water flow and low PH , zero Nitrate and zero PO4.

Dose Pods, help.

Appreciate the help, I agree with the flow, my tank has great flow and ironically Dino starts where the flow is strongest , but unfortunately if it was that easy there wouldn?t be so many forums and discussions on how to win the battle ...I?m willing to try anything to see what works and what doesn?t at this point ...also remember water parameters are perfect which is why people scratch there heads, tank has to have bacteria to starve out dino ..

Just turned on lights today after 3 day blackout and 4 day peroxide dosing with an addition of a white urchin and chaeato for pods ...fingers crossed

Last edited:

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Appreciate the help, I agree with the flow, my tank has great flow and ironically Dino starts where the flow is strongest , but unfortunately if it was that easy there wouldn?t be so many forums and discussions on how to win the battle ...I?m willing to try anything to see what works and what doesn?t at this point ...also remember water parameters are perfect which is why people scratch there heads, tank has to have bacteria to starve out dino ..

Just turned on lights today after 3 day blackout and 4 day peroxide dosing with an addition of a white urchin and chaeato for pods ...fingers crossed

Did my longest blackout of 5-6 days, and finally things starting to come around !!! It?s true once you get growth of any other bacteria / algae it out competes with the bad stuff ...think I?m finally cycling and getting ready to really enjoy things again! Added a fresh new set of cleanup crew, and had the clown knowing its pretty hardy who is eating like a champ!

21f6882b34d3970d5ca62d01df2bfbee.jpg
ec9487cdd988f78f5c8a70e00957c197.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: