evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I plan to have a separate frag tank setup to quarantine frags and new colonies to ensure my DT does not get hit with anything unsuspecting.

I would love to see frag tank setups and any advice for SPS acclimation and dipping.

• What do you dip in before placing into your tank? Bayer, coralrx?
  • When do you use something like revive?
  • I have read some people state that a good% of their SPS brown out before returning color. Is that the case?
  • If I use 2 different types of LED+T5 hybrid lights, should I acclimate in DT when it finally goes in?

My display rockwork ended up being a little higher than I planned. I wanted it to be around midtank to have more growth but it ended up being top 3/4th or 5-6" below surface of the water. Should I redo rock work now instead of possibly later down the road?

Again, I appreciate any information you can provide. It'll make my journey that much easier!

bonomo53

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
Not running any frag tanks as i don't have to the room but i will provide some info on the rest.

As for a dip i would go with Bayer it seems the least harsh on the sps and tends to kill everything except eggs. The only con about bayer is it turns the dip water milky white so its hard to see if pests fall off.

I have never used revive with Sps but have used Iodine based dips if there was RTN or STN that i was trying to stop i would glue over the tissue and dip it for 5-10 minutes.

I have only had sps brown out with bayer once when i forgot about them in the dip for around 45 min. but they did recover.

As far as the rock work goes if you think you are going to change it down the road i would take care of it now so nothing gets disturbed once you have corals in there and it starts getting established.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Thanks for the advice bonomo. Do you frag a piece if you notice RTN or STN to try to save it? Knowing is half the battle so if I spot it and it starts getting bad, atleast I could save a small piece to possibly grow back.

Do you dip every SPS? Is any susceptible to issues if you do dip?

bonomo53

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
Thanks for the advice bonomo. Do you frag a piece if you notice RTN or STN to try to save it? Knowing is half the battle so if I spot it and it starts getting bad, atleast I could save a small piece to possibly grow back.

Do you dip every SPS? Is any susceptible to issues if you do dip?

I first glue over the the rtn area and dip. If it continues to rtn i will frag the colony and try to savage some frags.

I did every sps but some smooth skins such as red dragon don't do well with dips so i don't leave them in as long.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: