rwells

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
233   0   0
Woke up to a fire under my fish stand. It started from a rope led light I used on my algae scrubber. It work very well but start flickering after 2 months of use. I reach out to the company and they send me a new light. One week after using the new light it caught on fire melting the acrylic housing which fell and melted my skimmer cup and skimmer pump wire. The fire quickly spread beneath the stand which burnt my BM Doser, PH probes, heater refugium and cabinet led lights. After I got my family to safety I went back into the house and put out the fire with the fire extinguisher which contaminated my whole tank. Later on that day I did a 30 gallon water change and then 20 gl more the following day and 20 gl the day after. Swapped out filter socks each day and new carbon. The fish survived but all my SPS didn?t make it through the night, the softies was not fully open but look ok until the next day when i saw them melting away. I bought this light from a post I read here on MR or R2R which lead me to buy it so I hope by me writing this post it might help out my follow reefers who is using this light.

Attachments

• 2A4D7121-39C6-49E9-B0EE-9E08312C7BAD.jpg
    2A4D7121-39C6-49E9-B0EE-9E08312C7BAD.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 519

rwells

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
233   0   0
Great that nobody got hurt or there wasn't extensive damage to you home, but it just go to show that people need to be careful using these cheap products, especially around water, as they can lead to burn out and fires.

You?re absolutely right, first cheap product I ever purchase for my tank and very important lesson learned.

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Very glad to hear that everybody was safe and not much damage. Thanks for sharing this story. Cheap lights or not it just shows that anytime there's danger. We are dealing with many pieces of equipment. And many outlets. I'm not a believer in more lights in sumps growing things. More simple and less toys to keep it safe.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Things can happen regardless of cheap or expensive. A week ago I realized I left a plugged in heater on top of an extension cord for days...

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
So sorry to hear, minimal damage and no one was hurt are the main things. Most of the fires I?ve heard about over the years are usually caused by lightning fixtures....I use smoke detectors above all my equipment for this reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jazeel55

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I had a similar experience with an 8 plug outlet under the stand after awhile the salt creep into the outlet and started a fire. I was lucky to be walking down to the basement to fish watch just in time to see fire before it got too big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rwells

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
233   0   0
Thanks guys, will be taking out all the rocks today and clean.
Is scrubbing and washing the rocks enough or do they need to be bleach?
If bleach is necessary please advice on mix ratio and how long.

rwells

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
233   0   0
Here?s the algae scrubber which was makded from 1/4? acrylic and seal.
I had it hanging over the center of my sump well over the water level when the return pump is off

Attachments

• 2AB1B679-BCB0-4C7C-B524-FD2B59268BFB.jpg
    2AB1B679-BCB0-4C7C-B524-FD2B59268BFB.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 251

sabellafella

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Woke up to a fire under my fish stand. It started from a rope led light I used on my algae scrubber. It work very well but start flickering after 2 months of use. I reach out to the company and they send me a new light. One week after using the new light it caught on fire melting the acrylic housing which fell and melted my skimmer cup and skimmer pump wire. The fire quickly spread beneath the stand which burnt my BM Doser, PH probes, heater refugium and cabinet led lights. After I got my family to safety I went back into the house and put out the fire with the fire extinguisher which contaminated my whole tank. Later on that day I did a 30 gallon water change and then 20 gl more the following day and 20 gl the day after. Swapped out filter socks each day and new carbon. The fish survived but all my SPS didn?t make it through the night, the softies was not fully open but look ok until the next day when i saw them melting away. I bought this light from a post I read here on MR or R2R which lead me to buy it so I hope by me writing this post it might help out my follow reefers who is using this light.

Such a tragedy! Hope you get back on your feet! I almost burnt down my house the day I pickedup that led tape. The person who soldered the power supply to the tape, had both wires basically melted together. The second I fired the led up, it lit up in flames. ANYONE THAT USES these led tape units, please resolder and shrink wrap them! They are extremely dangerous.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: