Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
So my 220 3/4 ? glass tank sprung a leak this tank was built like a tank lol and the seam still failed over time I was shocked so I?m gonna look into custom acrylic
Who does everyone recommend ??
Obviously the big thing for me would need to have some type of warranty

Thinking of 72 x 20? high and 24? wide
Is there such a thing as a seamless acrylic tank or maybe one that?s a poured resin or something eliminating weak spots not gonna lie this flood threw me for a loop such a helpless feeling and so much work to break down not 100 % I?m gonna keep going hoping I feel little better tomorrow wife was not thrilled ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
Holy @#$&, so sorry to hear. I don?t think any manufacturer makes a seamless tank that large. I?ll do some research. You?ve seen mine it has re-enforced acrylic seams and my sump only has the two rear corners seamed. I would offer to help, but it?s bad timing, I spent all day and half the night in the hospital and probably all day today too. That?s another story......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Hi Mike hope you are ok!!! In the end it?s just a tank very disappointed but eventually I?ll be back might go on hiatus for a bit and next time I?d like to keep things simple and done correctly I wasn?t happy with

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
You?ve seen mine it has re-enforced acrylic seams and my sump only has the two rear corners seamed. I would offer to help, but it?s bad timing, I spent all day and half the night in the hospital and probably all day today too. That?s another story......

Sorry to hear Mike, been in hospital 3x this year, so I know the feeling! Hope everything?s ok.

So my 220 3/4 ? glass tank sprung a leak this tank was built like a tank lol and the seam still failed over time I was shocked so I?m gonna look into custom acrylic
Who does everyone recommend ??
Obviously the big thing for me would need to have some type of warranty

Thinking of 72 x 20? high and 24? wide
Is there such a thing as a seamless acrylic tank or maybe one that?s a poured resin or something eliminating weak spots ...
Also sorry to hear, Matt... had my 450g split a seam 2 yrs ago, just got my new acrylic replacement (500g) set up a few months ago, so I know that feeling also!
My 2 new tanks (200 & 500g) both have the seams re-enforced like Mike?s tank...
They were custom made by fishtanksdirect in Fla... good people to work with, you?re welcome to come and take a look if you?d like.

sunny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Hi sunny thanks I?ll check them out why did u decide to go with them?

I am also in the same boat. My 350G glass tank leaked last year. It is always a mess to clean after leaks. I decided to go acrylic to try something different. I did a lot of research and decided to go with them.

My tank is 600G and it is really well built. If I went glass the weight alone for the tank that size was a no no to me. Advanced Acrylic have a name in the hobby.

Call them up and ask for John. Tell him I referred you, might get some discount ;)

Sunny

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Out of pure curiosity, how long did you and sunny have your glass tanks before they failed. It's always in the back of my mind that you don't want to think about but it lurks.
I've had a few Glass Cages tank for 14 years now.

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Mine I bought used apparently was set up for around 2 yrs if I remember correctly and I had it 5 yrs about so 7 yrs it was so much the leak although that sucked it was what to do about the 700 lb glass tank that was gonna start to stink up my house if I didn?t get it out for that reason alone I?d never do a big tank in glass again

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I had a 160gal tank for about 10 years and then I moved it, it then started to leak not to long afterwards. I patched it but at that point I made decision to change both of my large tank over to acrylic, and about 20 years later they're still in good condition without any problems.

Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Here's a pic

Attachments

• 20170518_182947.jpg
    20170518_182947.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 20171029_203434.jpg
    20171029_203434.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 67

thedragoneel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Question to all that experienced leaks with their tanks. Was each tank a seamless tank? Or did it have the plastic braces that support the top and bottom (not sure the actual term)?

Thanks

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Most here seem to have had glass tanks seems fail and opted then to go acrilic because it seems they r less likely to fail and I?m sure as with my case when the seem went on my tank just to remove the tank from my house was a utter nightmare and the biggest challenge by far

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Glass is just too damn heavy and really I needed help but I don?t even know who I could have called so I ended up cutting tank apart oh it was miserable another thing I?d never ever add rubble to a tank again just lg PCs

Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Glass tanks are just silicones at the seals as were acrylic is chemically bonded at the seams ..I would not go bigger than maybe 120gallons with a glass tank .acrylics is lighter and clearer ,but the down side is u have to be careful cleaning the glass it can scratch easy

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: