Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With Indonesia and Fiji stop sending coral. We are going to rely on aquaculture which is a good thing. But the shut down in Hawaii will soon hit us harder. So my question is the hobby going to become even more expensive? What about LFS how will this effect them. So with Warmer ocean in the Great Barrier Reef. Will there be coral around in our ocean that will also effect the population of fish. What can we do to help this hobby?

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
It was hard for lfs before this. Know many stores that did everything right, had all the resources, and still failed.

For the hobby moving forward think breeding and the likes is going to be huge. Thankfully with the advances as of late, and the ease of sharing knowledge and experience via internet is key.

The oceans have been warming. That will change. With historical low solar activity cosmic rays increase, jet stream and QBO slow down, and still many parts of the ocean are already showing signs of cooling, and cooling fast.

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
It was hard for lfs before this. Know many stores that did everything right, had all the resources, and still failed.

For the hobby moving forward think breeding and the likes is going to be huge. Thankfully with the advances as of late, and the ease of sharing knowledge and experience via internet is key.

The oceans have been warming. That will change. With historical low solar activity cosmic rays increase, jet stream and QBO slow down, and still many parts of the ocean are already showing signs of cooling, and cooling fast.

Curious ,what stores failed ? because of coral problems ?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally Agree! It is no longer a profitable industry in any aspect. Even the guys who have been in it for decades are going belly up. Petland Discounts had over a 100 stores in its prime now only has 6 and 4 of them are going close with in the next 2 year. I have watched so many great stores go down. I would think in the next 5 years you wont see more then 10 to 15 mom and pop stores left on Long Island.

Last edited:

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hobby is declining, see it with my LFSs that specialize in saltwater etc ...many people are trying to unload tanks, some are upgrading but the latter is happening much more unfortunately and its a shame because there is so much more technology than 10-15yrs ago but on the flip side I feel like it was easier to keep a tank running well back than -

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I always thought that the real mom and pop lfs that?s run by real hobbiest should also run clubs out of there shops with meetings discussions etc kind of like how some comic shops also have tables where u can go play magic card games etc
Maybe charge a small membership fee for frag of the month club or something but I guess that might be more wishful thinking on my part as I?ve really enjoyed stopping in to my lfs and shooting the breeze and running into friends I?ve met through the hobby if you have a lfs you like support them go in and buy something I know summer can be tough time of year for them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to see a meeting room in a lfs but I would think they don't want customers trading frags and fish, killing their sales. With the comic books and cards something is coming out every month and the meetings help drive those sales. It would really take a miracle to save the industry. So many kids in the 80's and even the 90's had tanks now it's about the iphone or the next Call of Duty game and on top of that the internet has killed any type of profitable sales. You can find frags and fish cheaper then the lfs can get at a wholesaler, again puts the whole industry at risk to the megastore.

Last edited:

salpet

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
the hobby is changing years ago you could find at least 2 or 3 pet shops in almost every town now your lucky if you find 2 or 3 in a county, rents,energy costs, internet competition are all a contributing factors to lfs failure. its a shame but its a sign of the times

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I would agree, the internet is probably the number one problem of the lfs.

As much as I like having the lfs for picking up items and livestock, I just like them, have to watch my bottom line. Especially on big ticket items.

I'm not talking about paying 50 cents less on a bottle of fish food by buying online....but like saving $50 on a new light fixture.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The internet is killing the lfs. Speaking to owners of my lfs it is cheaper most of the time for them to buy items online then through their wholesaler. Most wont even carry big ticket items like lights because there is no profit in it. I guess its a double edge sword you buy online to save a few bucks but now you knock the lfs out of business and have no where to buy your livestock.
Although I heard that import company from California was setting up a Wholesale Warehouse of fish and coral somewhere on Long Island so maybe there is hope for our lfs.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: