Manhattan Reefs
 

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR


Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2018, 07:37 PM
vio
Senior Member
vio's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 3,736
Reefer Ratings: (77 (99%)
Friends: (62)
Send a Private Message
I use blender, $ 40 , works GREAT.
I use Clams 15-20
Scallop
Jumbo Shrimps
Few eggs ( only yellows) 3-4
Some boiling rice.
Octopus
Mix all , leave on refrigerator , mix every day for 3 days.
Put in 12 oz. plastic bottle , then freeze, defrost one of bottle at the time.
Protein Skimmer got crazy, skim wet for few time , depend how much i use.
I realize Fish got crazy , coral love it .
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:39 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: bayonne / nj
Posts: 1,042
Reefer Ratings: (8 (100%)
Friends: (2)
Send a Private Message
vio what do you notice when using the yellow part of the eggs .
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 12:15 PM
vio
Senior Member
vio's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 3,736
Reefer Ratings: (77 (99%)
Friends: (62)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg 45 View Post
vio what do you notice when using the yellow part of the eggs .
Coral open polyps , Skimmer got crazy.
Detritus sticks right in the extra food , make the water more clear , Skimmer more efficient .
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 12:45 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: bayonne / nj
Posts: 1,042
Reefer Ratings: (8 (100%)
Friends: (2)
Send a Private Message
food

Quote:
Originally Posted by vio View Post
Coral open polyps , Skimmer got crazy.
Detritus sticks right in the extra food , make the water more clear , Skimmer more efficient .
going to give it a try next batch of food .
thanks
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:09 PM
Member
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: NY
Posts: 35
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
I want to make my own food, it's cheaper I suppose? And you can probably do it less frequently, currently I use pellets, frozen cube mysis, nori and frozen cube emerald entree, sometimes I put a clam on the half shell as well but it all comes from aquarium shops or petco, never tried local fish market shopping is that safe for our aquariums? You guys take all these scallops/fish eggs/clam/veggies And grind them all up together then freeze? Where does one even buy fish eggs? You add selcon or vitachem?
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:17 PM
Member
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: New york
Posts: 86
Reefer Ratings: (1 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
I saw a post on r2r once where apparently there's a club where each member brings one ingrediant and they make a huge patch everyone takes a bit of back home:

Broccoli
Kale
Spinach
Frozen brine shrimp
Frozen krill
Frozen silverside
Frozen blood worms
Rockfish
Talapia
Lobster tail
Salmon
Scallops
Shrimp
Soft crab
Multiple seaweeds
Garlic extreme
Freeze dried rotifiers
Brine shrimp eggs decapsulated
Freeze dried or frozen plankton
Frozen pe mysis
Squid
Phytoplankton
cyclpeeze/reed rods
Kens golden pearls/dried mysis/dried daphia/dried superba krill
Reef plus concentrated vitamins and amino acid supplement

I can imagine how excited these fish must be at feeding time with such a concoction
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 11:11 AM
Thatguy96
Thatguy96's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NYC/Stamford/West Chester
Posts: 2,485
Reefer Ratings: (95 (100%)
Friends: (35)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelfish View Post
I saw a post on r2r once where apparently there's a club where each member brings one ingrediant and they make a huge patch everyone takes a bit of back home:

Broccoli
Kale
Spinach
Frozen brine shrimp
Frozen krill
Frozen silverside
Frozen blood worms
Rockfish
Talapia
Lobster tail
Salmon
Scallops
Shrimp
Soft crab
Multiple seaweeds
Garlic extreme
Freeze dried rotifiers
Brine shrimp eggs decapsulated
Freeze dried or frozen plankton
Frozen pe mysis
Squid
Phytoplankton
cyclpeeze/reed rods
Kens golden pearls/dried mysis/dried daphia/dried superba krill
Reef plus concentrated vitamins and amino acid supplement

I can imagine how excited these fish must be at feeding time with such a concoction
My fish and Corals love this food guys! I'm starting to stay away from prepackaged stuff and go natural if possible. Once I get a house and have some real space, I would love to start feeding live brine shrimp.

@Vio, I'm going to take some of your suggestions bro.
__________________
Follow me on Instagram: "Stourysreef"
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:17 PM
Senior Member
3450500's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bergen county
Posts: 220
Reefer Ratings: (4 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
if you screw up opening the clams soak them in hot water they will open up i also use a blender then put in ice cube trays and freeze.
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:28 AM
Thatguy96
Thatguy96's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NYC/Stamford/West Chester
Posts: 2,485
Reefer Ratings: (95 (100%)
Friends: (35)
Send a Private Message
Hey guys, so BRS just released a great video on how to make food. Definitely check it out if you want to get some pointers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg9Vp-RWNuQ
__________________
Follow me on Instagram: "Stourysreef"
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes