Rating - 100%
204   0   0
So I like to think of myself as somewhat of an experiences reefer but I have to say that I hate testing my water ha

I mostly watch my tank and perform regular maintenance. I dose Alk and Calcium with Kalkwasser through my ATO and I have managed about 10.5 ALK with the SPS growing really nicely! Anyhow, I recently tested my ALk and found that it dropped to 5.6 :(. I couldn't believe it at first, but quickly realized this is the reason why folks say that you really should monitor your ALK regularly because if Corals are growing, they will consume more ALK (especially my three clams!!) and there is no better way but testing on a regular basis to keep this in check.

I'm all about automation so I cant wait for this trident method from APEX, I would have to say.

For the folks with mixed reefs and SPS heavy load, how often do you test??

Thanks for any comments or feedback guys.

bonomo53

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
I think the issue is you are trying to keep alk and cal constant with your ATO but the amount of evaporation will be different some days causing you to use more top off water causing a spike. I would switch over to dosing pumps and dose a and b. You will be able to keep levels much more consistent and once your dose is dialed in you can test every few days or once a week.

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
Checking the alk multiple times a day for serious SPS guys is not that uncommon because IMO alk is the most important element to keep stable in an acceptable range.....too big of a swing could damage many months or years of growth very quickly and takes months to recover if at all. Personally I test it once a day....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
I think the issue is you are trying to keep alk and cal constant with your ATO but the amount of evaporation will be different some days causing you to use more top off water causing a spike. I would switch over to dosing pumps and dose a and b. You will be able to keep levels much more consistent and once your dose is dialed in you can test every few days or once a week.

+1
If , you serious about SPS, forgot about Kalka. in long way make more harm then good.
I stop using , i end up have Calcium over 500 , not even show in scale. Calcium reactor is the key. I will add some tips:

Electronic bubble regulator = The BEST
Monitor melting media , then when go to low , do NOT add. use wet vacuum , remove it , clean the sponge in the bottom, you will see media become like sand , restrict the water flow on pump, add NEW media.

Use a pump to take water from bottom ,push to top , help to remove some CO2 .

I start using strainer to avoid Detritus go inside the reactor .

Use outside air Intake for Protein Skimmer.

I monitor the bubble and pump of C.R. every week.
Test Alk. one a week , unless i found some think wrong.
I love 7 dKH.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Every other day until stable then 1x every 7 days for a system utilizing a dosing pump with A & B.
For a nano tank utilizing hand dosing corrections with Reef Builder (Alk) and Reef Complete (Calcium), every 3 days.
This has worked for my situation.

Jazeel55

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Am a Shame to say I don?t test anything. Am the worst reefer. I just dose aquaforest comp 1.2.3 and leave it alone. When you start chasing number you spend too much time chasing number and not staring at your under water garden. Coral Are very resilient And will often timed adapt to there environment and thrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
278   0   0
Am a Shame to say I don?t test anything. Am the worst reefer. I just dose aquaforest comp 1.2.3 and leave it alone. When you start chasing number you spend too much time chasing number and not staring at your under water garden. Coral Are very resilient And will often timed adapt to there environment and thrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is not chasing numbers.... this is keeping consistency. and testing alk regularly applies to keeping sticks. and if not testing and going rambo is good for you then by all means go rambo. But testing alk and cal and mag is not about chasing its about keeping your water consistent

Rating - 100%
204   0   0

I think you convinced me to be honest with you. The more serious I get about keeping the more I see that some things have to change.

Rating - 100%
204   0   0
Checking the alk multiple times a day for serious SPS guys is not that uncommon because IMO alk is the most important element to keep stable in an acceptable range.....too big of a swing could damage many months or years of growth very quickly and takes months to recover if at all. Personally I test it once a day....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Mike! I wouldn't consider myself a lazy refeer but very close to it when it comes to testing ha. Thats why I really need this Apex ALK/Cal/Mag to come out already ha ha

Rating - 100%
204   0   0
+1
If , you serious about SPS, forgot about Kalka. in long way make more harm then good.
I stop using , i end up have Calcium over 500 , not even show in scale. Calcium reactor is the key. I will add some tips:

Electronic bubble regulator = The BEST
Monitor melting media , then when go to low , do NOT add. use wet vacuum , remove it , clean the sponge in the bottom, you will see media become like sand , restrict the water flow on pump, add NEW media.

Use a pump to take water from bottom ,push to top , help to remove some CO2 .

I start using strainer to avoid Detritus go inside the reactor .

Use outside air Intake for Protein Skimmer.

I monitor the bubble and pump of C.R. every week.
Test Alk. one a week , unless i found some think wrong.
I love 7 dKH.

Vio, these are your babies that I'm, trying to grow out so I appreciate the advice sir!

Rating - 100%
204   0   0
This is not chasing numbers.... this is keeping consistency. and testing alk regularly applies to keeping sticks. and if not testing and going rambo is good for you then by all means go rambo. But testing alk and cal and mag is not about chasing its about keeping your water consistent

Jazell, I know where you are coming from my friends but I have to agree with Brooklynreefers because I lost a few nice pieces and had no clue why until I realized that alk dropped dramatically when I was trying to reduce my salinity levels a bit by adding RODI.

I know stupid me for not considering the other levels I was reducing but this is what happens when you try to go without keeping track of your levels.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: