P

Pedro

Yeah i just noticed that. After all that hoopla i ordered one too. I guess i can deal with the accuracy thing. If i get the meter to test zero, then at least i'll know i can't be any higher than .04. I'll always take it on the + side as a precaution.

Get it before it sells out!

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Got this from Hach:

For the Pocket Colorimeter II CAT number 5870006, the Estimated
Detection Limit would be 0.02 mg/L. Reminder that this is an estimate
and you can determine the specific detection level by the procedure I
have attached (see Section 3.4). There is no standard laboratory
equipment that will read to an absolute 0.00. One would have to go to
Atomic Absorption type of testing to get levels approaching a 0.00
(along with a significant increase in costs).

The precision for the test using a 1.0 mg/L standard, with a 95%
confidence interval, is +/- 0.04 mg/L

Just passing along info for the thread. Don't shoot the messenger, lol.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
call her up! I want to know what my Po4 is with no + or - figuring into the test ;)
I think there might be one of these meters at Pratt, maybe we can find the person in charge of the lab :scratchch

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
You guys have officially gotten ridiculous and have taken the fun out of this. A lot of nitpicking going on over 0.04 from guys with brown acros. Before we question how perfect something is, some of us should look at our own tanks. Sometimes it doesn't take a high-speed meter to tell when someone has bad water parameters. "You can tell just by looking at the corals".

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
You guys have officially gotten ridiculous and have taken the fun out of this. A lot of nitpicking going on over 0.04 from guys with brown acros. Before we question how perfect something is, some of us should look at our own tanks. Sometimes it doesn't take a high-speed meter to tell when someone has bad water parameters. "You can tell just by looking at the corals".

Oh damn, that's it for me. I just wanted to share some info. I threw things up there for discussions. Not pushing or bashing any product. Just giving ideas. I'll graciously bow out of this thread now. Peace! :sad2:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I have no brown acro's :D okay maybe one, but it came that way from atlantis :irked:

chris were just having some fun, not taking it away. I'm happy with my hanna for now, but if there's a better meter out there I'm all for it.
of course if it costs more than my car I might have to put off getting one for a while ;)

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
no wars guys. I don't see it as bashing either. Some good info has come up in the thread. Valuable. I'm just messing with you guys. Hard to joke around on the computer, easy to take things the wrong way.

regal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
my mother inlaw owns a medical testing labortory... I wonder if she would have one of these lying around....:scratchch

FYI, the medical equipment measures human PO4 level in mg/deci-liter with one decimal point. e.g. normal is 2.5 mg/dl which is equal to 25 mg/l. In other words, it is reading at a range much higher than the low range Hanna meter and does not give you as accurate of a reading down to +/- 0.04mg/l like the Hanna.

Pedro, I hope I get the conversion right this time. I don't want to be fired twice in a week. Otherwise, I will have to go back to my day job instead of giving advice here.

Last edited:

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
FYI, the medical equipment measures human PO4 level in mg/deci-liter with one decimal point. e.g. normal is 2.5 mg/dl which is equal to 25 mg/l. In other words, it is reading at a range much higher than the low range Hanna meter and does not give you as accurate of a reading down to +/- 0.04mg/l like the Hanna.

Pedro, I hope I get the conversion right this time. I don't want to be fired twice in a week. Otherwise, I will have to go back to my day job instead of giving advice here.
so, wait a second... a medicinal meter used to measure levels in a human being isn't as accurate as a PO4 meter for a fish tank? Damn, this hobby really has gone a long way.
Pretty sad when you think about it though. Human meter isn't as good as the aquarium meter. I guess that's just the American way, treat animals like people and treat people like animals.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: