jcurry

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I find funny is you could have bought that mushroom a few years ago for $18 from a website out of florida.

A year later someone puts a stupid name on it and prints a lineage certificate then try to sell it for $250. What's even funnier is someone is going to buy it. And they'll buy it solely for the name and certificate.

jcurry

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vio you're one of the few. I don't want sound like that old guy who always say it was better in the old days. But...back in the '90s and early 2000s there were a lot more people with the same attitude as you. Buy a beautiful coral...grow it out...and sell it cheap or give it away to make the community stronger.

The club I used to belong to had an unwritten rule that all frags were $10 to other club members. When someone hosted a meeting everyone attending donated a frag to the host as a thank you.

anthonys51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.6%
123   3   0
Lol it?s called manhatten cheap for a reason

There are still tons of cheap 10 frags to go around. Hell I?ll sell you some of mine right now.

Got green hammers and green palys. Even have a few nice red Zoas I?ll sell for 10

But if you want the sps with the insane color or the mushrooms with the insane colors you have to spend.
And after me paying 150 for my jawbreak sorry I am the bad guy for not wanting to give it away for 10 bucks

Plus all of you saying these frags used to be 10 years ago. Where are all your frags

Love to buy 10 sps frags that aren?t green or bright red Yuma mushrooms for 10. I promise I won?t sell them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

anthonys51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.6%
123   3   0
No offense Vio, but that is kinda what we are talking about. $600 for a frag? Coral pricing has really gone up, compared to back then.

I think we all understand that supply/demand, marketing, name brands drive up prices. And there is nothing wrong with making a profit.

I personally just can't believe how high the prices have gone up in the past decade. Must be coral inflation :D

Well said.
Yes some of wwc and Jason fox stuff is way overpriced imo. But others don?t mind paying I guess

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
it's all depends on whoever willing to paid for it. I told myself couple years ago to refuse paying $400 for a tiny speck of mushroom, now that same mushroom is twice the price. however, back then look at the price for red dragon or hornets and their price now ...

I remember paying $250 for a rock anemones, now it's $50

Last edited:

jcurry

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol it?s called manhatten cheap for a reason

There are still tons of cheap 10 frags to go around. Hell I?ll sell you some of mine right now.

Got green hammers and green palys. Even have a few nice red Zoas I?ll sell for 10

But if you want the sps with the insane color or the mushrooms with the insane colors you have to spend.
And after me paying 150 for my jawbreak sorry I am the bad guy for not wanting to give it away for 10 bucks

Plus all of you saying these frags used to be 10 years ago. Where are all your frags

Love to buy 10 sps frags that aren?t green or bright red Yuma mushrooms for 10. I promise I won?t sell them.

I've been out of the "hobby" for 10 years. I rarely sold frags and usually just gave them away. It's no longer a hobby, everyone thinks they're a business or a brand. Which is fine, to each their own. People can buy what they want to buy and sell stuff for the price they want. For me it was a hobby and about meeting people that had similar interests and maybe becoming friends not a source of income.

Timbo

Got Reef?
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was out of the hobby for around seven years or so until July of this year. My personal observation is prices for livestock and coral have all increased across the board, in general. Some items selling for a premium are now considered regularly available and sell at a reasonable price but overall I see an increase in price for fish and coral. I see a lot of data supporting increased regulation in collection sites/countries that were major exporters supporting our hobby. I was shocked when I couldn?t find actual live rock that didn?t originate from the Caribbean. I think technology has helped bring the price of available electronic components down but the living part of this hobby has definitely increased across the board. When I began to search for an anemone that was your usual blah green bubble tip I was beside myself to find that not only could I not find a lot of availability but the specimens available were only 2-3? and priced well over $100. I hope I get to the point where I can offer frags for free or for at least a nominal cost. We live in a society where you can certainly make money for uniqueness and latest and greatest but I know the handful of folks that put endless hours of time, love, and passion into this site didn?t do that for money or for the hope of making millions. For those vendors that sell on this site and for the members that participate and sell on this site, or actually tade/give away, thank you.

anthonys51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.6%
123   3   0
Let?s all stop this
There is nothing wrong with making a profit

I might give away a cheap fast growing coral or chesto

But my 300-400 frag I am not giving away for free

First I like to recoup the money I paid for it because I am not bill gates

I sell things on here all the time. Honestly I post things for and someone will say will you take 25 instead of 30. I could easily say his annoying. Your broke blank blank it?s only 5 dollars.
But really they have the right to haggle just like it?s ok for me to sell the corals Whst the market dictates

The market makes the price nothing else

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What happen to this hobby is that a few big names that sell corals put a fancy name on these coral and put a high price tag with them. Used to be able to buy small frags for $5-$10. Hobby became a big business. Years ago it was a trade show. What ever happen to those trade show.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: