Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Every time I see prices on "colorful" mushroom anemones my jaw drops. Used to buy this stuff for $10 per rock 20 years ago and now single mushrooms sell for upwards of $200+.

If I got $10 for every mushroom I ever gave away that would sell for $50+ now I would have enough money to buy the farm house of my dreams.

I thought it was a fad, but I guess not...

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Every time I see prices on "colorful" mushroom anemones my jaw drops. Used to buy this stuff for $10 per rock 20 years ago and now single mushrooms sell for upwards of $200+.

If I got $10 for every mushroom I ever gave away that would sell for $50+ now I would have enough money to buy the farm house of my dreams.

I thought it was a fad, but I guess not...

+1

Coral pricing has just become ridiculous now.... smh

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
Just had this same convo with a buddy of mine the other day. How the prices and names of things have gotten ridiculous. I paid $15 a head for a torch. Saw someone selling the same torch but added/put a name of it and was selling it for $75 a head. Now your gonna ask how do I know it was the same torch? Cause myself and the person selling his bought it from the same person

anthonys51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.6%
123   3   0
The demand causes the prices to rise. Now in New York with all the hobbies and lfs the prices are lower but if you live in New Mexico or Arizona that?s a different story. So wwc can sell a frag for 300. They only need a few people to buy it.

Now yes these 100-300 mushrooms are s pot nicer than the cheap ones you got 20 years ago. It?s not really comparing apples to apples
Plus jaw breakers from the wild melt like crazy. Once you have a domestic strain it tends to be hardy. But why would I sell you mine for 10 when plenty will pay 150-250. You call them fools. They might be. But someone paying 250-1000 for air Jordon?s isn?t any smarter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
I beg to differ. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I for one personally like the cheap mushrooms better than these so called high ends. I don?t see what the craze is about bounce mushrooms. But that?s what makes and keeps this hobby interesting. Something going for $1000 now could be $100 next year. Check out those lighting clowns. Remember the prices on them when they first came out? Now look at there prices. Can?t give them away
As far as sneakers go if I could buy a fish or coral guaranteed to live forever or until I decide to throw away or give away I absolutely would pay the big money. Sneakers we can have forever, corals and fish we can not

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I personally think the bounce mushrooms are ugly... I remember when neon green toadstools were rare as hens teeth and sold for a couple hundred bucks. Now everyone has one.

Start talking SPS and LPS and it gets even crazier.

anthonys51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.6%
123   3   0
I personally think the bounce mushrooms are ugly... I remember when neon green toadstools were rare as hens teeth and sold for a couple hundred bucks. Now everyone has one.

Start talking SPS and LPS and it gets even crazier.

No one wants green toadstools

Your confusing rare with supply and demand.

There are quota on my sps corals and nicer lps. While they might not be rare In wild. And endless supply of then.

20 years ago no one could keep sps so demand wasn?t high

mk4fan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
It?s all hype, we been here long enough to know this.

Acros, zoos, acans, chalices now shrooms.

Back in the day everyone wanted a Steve Tyree coral, now it?s jason fox, etc...

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
20 years ago was AFTER the renaissance of Reef Keeping. After Aquarium Frontiers magazine, Metal Halide lighting, protein skimmers (the downdraft skimmer came out over 20 years ago) and a better understanding of reef chemistry.

The neon green toadstools were "rare" and sold for stupid money. They got fragged and even though there was plenty of supply the prices stayed high for a bit.

Acros, montis and other SPS and LPS are fragged to death. People pay the same for a 1-2" frag that they paid for a whole colony just a few years ago. But that is not what I am talking about, those frags are still under $25. Take one of those colonies, give it a snazzy name and chop it up and now it sells for $100 per 1" frag.

anthonys51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.6%
123   3   0
What is the difference between new balance and 2500 limit edition air Jordan?s. You honestly think it cost more.

Don?t you watch shark tank
It?s not what it cost you to make something it?s whst someone is willing to pay for it

Or do you watch pawn stars. Just because something is rare doesn?t make it expensive

If no one was buying them they wouldn?t be at this price.

They might go down in price in the future. Or maybe they stop coral imports altogether and they go up. No one can tell the future
I wouldn?t call people stupid for paying 200 for a frag. It?s there money
Just like it?s not stupid to pay 150 for a nice dinner with the wife. But are gone in a day

Coralito

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+11111 LOL
I agree, prices are ridiculously expensive. That's why I buy corals from fellow reefers here. It is cheaper and guarateed to healthy and did I say cheap?. Not paying for shipping.

mk4fan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
What is the difference between new balance and 2500 limit edition air Jordan?s.

Nothing, like we said it?s all hype and marketing.

What is the difference between the same coral but one with a fancy name?

We understand supply and demand, we just think it?s crazy.

You can?t compare sneakers to corals, etc... or even a nice dinner it?s not the same.

Last edited:

anthonys51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.6%
123   3   0
I went to nice restaurant last night. Me my wife and a couple. It was 700 for dinner

I rather have a 700 mushroom I can?t kill. Least I can stair tomorrow instead of pooping it out

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
I went to nice restaurant last night. Me my wife and a couple. It was 700 for dinner

I rather have a 700 mushroom I can?t kill. Least I can stair tomorrow instead of pooping it out

You are comparing a nice dinner out with your wife to a coral?

I shouldn't have bought my car since it depreciates in value and is a gas guzzler. I should have bought a bunch of WWC OG Bounce Mushrooms instead........... :biggrin:

I shouldn't spend money on my kids education because I don't get anything out of it, i should instead by high end corals....:teeth:

anthonys51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.6%
123   3   0
I didn?t need to spend 700 for food
It?s not like if I spend 700 on chicken and shrimp and wine I love my wife more than if I spent 100.

They aren?t raising special chickens that cost more

My point isn?t don?t spend money on your family. It?s I didn?t need to spend 700 on dinner when I could of cooked the same meal myself and got 3 bottles of wine and ate at my house and spent the same quality time for 50 bucks total.

I am not stupid for spending 700 on dinner just like I don?t think someone is stupid for spending 700 on a mushroom or 200 on a little frag

Now if you still live with your mom and live in a small apartment. Then I think your stupid. Because your spending money on crap that isn?t important

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: