I want to upgrade my skimmer this coming cyber Monday sales. I'm currently running the Reef Octopus 150int rated upto 100-150g on my 93g cube.

I'm looking to get a skimmer rated for 400-500g for a future build BUT use it on my 93g cube in the mean time. Was looking into https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/super-reef-octopus-sro-5000sss-10-space-saver-protein-skimmer.html

So the question is, is there such a thing as too much skimming? Thanks for ur input.

Also, any recommendation on which brands of skimmers are best? ive used my Reef Octoput for 5-6yrs without any issues what so ever. so Im not sure what other brands out perform the RO.

Last edited:

elishapep

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey,
RO has different levels of skimmers you can get there is SRO which is there mid range and then the diablos which are there top of the line all are great I have SRO and it does the job. As far as over skimming you could get a skimmer that is to much for your bioload .it depends on what you plan to put in the tank . If you are going heavy SPS then get the biggest skimmer you can fit in your sump .if you are just going with lps then you don?t need a larger skimmer .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
I certainly think you can have a skimmer that is too large for your system. What will happen is your skimmer will not produce a foam consistently.
This seems to happen in small to medium systems. Theory goes out the door when the tank volume goes over 300g but still within practical limits.
As an example, I have a Skimz SM127 that is rated for up to 60g but my tank is only 21g and a light bio-load. I cannot get a consistent foam with this but when I had my 280g system up and running with a heavy bio-load, I used a Deltec AP900 which is rated up to 600g and I was able to get a consistent mud skim mate.

Hey,
RO has different levels of skimmers you can get there is SRO which is there mid range and then the diablos which are there top of the line all are great I have SRO and it does the job. As far as over skimming you could get a skimmer that is to much for your bioload .it depends on what you plan to put in the tank . If you are going heavy SPS then get the biggest skimmer you can fit in your sump .if you are just going with lps then you don?t need a larger skimmer .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for breaking down the new RO skimmers our now :smile:

I certainly think you can have a skimmer that is too large for your system. What will happen is your skimmer will not produce a foam consistently.
This seems to happen in small to medium systems. Theory goes out the door when the tank volume goes over 300g but still within practical limits.
As an example, I have a Skimz SM127 that is rated for up to 60g but my tank is only 21g and a light bio-load. I cannot get a consistent foam with this but when I had my 280g system up and running with a heavy bio-load, I used a Deltec AP900 which is rated up to 600g and I was able to get a consistent mud skim mate.

Gotcha...makes sense. Maybe I should wait to upgrade the skimmer after I get the next set up

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: