Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Hi all, was wondering if anyone has seen a scrubber model that sits parallel to a sump, not above it. I'm designing a new system for myself and the only thing that looks efficient are the Clear water external scrubbers listed on bulk reef supplies, where the water is pumped in, but gravity fed outflow and needs to be placed above the sump.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/cw-100-external-algae-scrubber-clear-water.html
I really don't see why we have to squeeze another unit vertically where space is a premium, where there's plenty of space to the side. I'm guessing engineers have though about this and figured this was the only way to go, since placing a unit parallel to a sump would require 2 pumps? one to fill, and another to drain which can cause clogging problems?

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
The underwater ones, using air. I've experimented with those quite a bit, made a few using 1 square foot red LED panels, on the side of my refugium. The draw backs of those are:1. salt creep and build up out side the tank, above the bubbles, which though I could control 99% of, that last bit was damaging my stand/frame. 2. algae will eventually grow on the glass, and it would labor intensive scraping it. 3. The 1 square foot panel which the algae was going on, was impossible to remove from the refugium, without water dripping everywhere, causing more damage to the frame. It was just too messy of an operation.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: