johnsonpics

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
So I have a 34gal Cube and a pretty shallow sanded that I stir occasionally. I'm talking 1/2-1" maximum. I'm contemplating just sucking all of the sand out during a water change, rinsing it in RODI or fresh saltwater. I just want to really clean it. Has anyone tried this? Or can anyone tell me "Hell No, your out of your mind and here's why..."

Thanks!

doma25

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are able to siphon the sand out of the tank without removing the rocks, that means you have the surface area to thoroughly clean the sand in the tank. (Without having to remove the sand)

Since your sand bed is fairly shallow, you hopefully won't be disturbing an anaerobic/dangerous layer underneath by cleaning it via siphoning. When I do a water change- and this keeps my sand-bed looking fresh - I siphon the sand bed using a hose that?s attached to a tall cup/vacuum ?the ones that come with any standard fish tank cleaning kit. How I do this is:
once you start the siphon, you will then insert the cup/vacuum into the sand, it will quickly fill up with sand and water, as the sand fills the cup you will notice detritus/smaller particulate matter rising out of the swirling sand to the top faster and getting sucked out while the denser sand is at a slower pace filling up the cup. Before the sand gets through the cup, into the hosing and out of the tank, you will need to quickly have one of your hands ready to crimp the hose - this will temporarily pause the siphon and allow the now clean sand to fall bank into the tank, once the sand is out of the cup repeat this process throughout the sand bed and VOILA your sand bed is looking brand new!
(if you were to remove the sand I?d just flat out replace it and not hand wash it ? not worth the work)

jcurry

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removing the sand to clean it will kill all of the bacteria growing on it. So putting it back in may cause the tank to cycle again.

What's on the sand that needs to be cleaned?

jcurry

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A diamond goby will starve. There is not enough fauna in the sand bed of an aquarium to sustain a fish.

A small.tiger tail cucumber would be a better choice.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jd371

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a pair of Conch snails and a Rainford Goby and they keep my sand spotless. I also stir the sand a little bit once and a while. I would never rinse the sand because like stated above you want the natural flora, fauna and bacteria in there.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: