Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Reef Database Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2018, 02:01 AM
Reefer Ratings: (55 (100%)
Friends: (6)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoreefer22 View Post
So of the corals that I dipped in fw they were surviving, looked really crappy but definitely had polyp extension. Decided to take them out and discard them after I saw one bug crawling around on a dipped piec. If they were larger pieces I cut the tips off and reglued.

It’s defintiely going to be a battle and any corals that show signs of damage are going to be removed, clipped, dipped and returned to the tank.

Sad this happened to me but hopefully someone out there has had them and beat them.
I beat them! You can too!
Old 11-22-2018, 02:27 AM
Live Sale Pioneer
Moderator: This member is a Moderator. - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (157 (100%)
Friends: (83)
Send a Private Message
Live Sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefiness View Post
I beat them! You can too!
Thanks for the support! I should have added with some type of treatment haha. Going to order the stereoscope and light soon. Doing what I can to keep them at bay for now.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:34 PM
Live Sale Pioneer
Send a Private Message
Just quick update here. Daily basting and the addition of wrasses doesn’t seem to be anything at all. I know it’s only been a few days but definitely seeing an increase in the population.

I’m going to try something a bit more direct. In addition to what I’ve already done I’m going to scrub any acros that look damaged with a toothbrush with the bristles cut down. Has anyone ever tried that? Figure the shirt bristles will injure or kill anything it brushes, including the damaged acro skin.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:00 PM
Reefer Ratings: (89 (100%)
Friends: (58)
Send a Private Message
Did you try a fresh water dip?
Old 11-25-2018, 05:26 PM
Live Sale Pioneer
Send a Private Message
I did. Those pieces survived the dip but were reinfected within 3 days. Decided that’s not the best route.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:38 PM
Reefer Ratings: (89 (100%)
Friends: (58)
Send a Private Message
Are they in QT? Won’t work if you put them right back into the system
Old 11-25-2018, 07:49 PM
Live Sale Pioneer
Send a Private Message
So I took a bit more of a direct approach to beating this before it gets worse. Since my corals weren’t encrusted a ton I decided to remove them all. I took each piece one by one and fragged it down to basically a nub leaving no traces of the base of the coral. Any colonies were fragged to a single branch. Even if a coral wasn’t showing signs of pests it was fragged. All glue and other traces of acros on the rocks were cut away with frag sheers.

I glued all the fresh cut pieces to a large mag float that can be easily removed from the tank and dipped weekly or more frequently. My thought process here is that the bugs need acros to eat and with no more on the rocks they’re either going o starve or make their was to the mag float which is a good way from the rock work and in front of a gyre. If they make it to the mag float they will stay there and can be picked off and dipped easily.

I know this seems a bit drastic but I don’t want to be dealing with this for the next several months only to end up losing everything. I saw bugs as I was fragging and bite marks here and there but I wouldn’t be surprised if I just eliminated the majority of them.

This tank has essentially become my qt tank

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails

Old 11-26-2018, 08:17 PM
Reefer Ratings: (27 (100%)
Friends: (13)
Send a Private Message
Good luck bud. Hope you get rid of them soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2018, 10:26 PM
Reefer Ratings: (120 (99%)
Friends: (32)
Send a Private Message
Wow . Did you find out what kinda bugs are those ?
I know someone here who got black bugs and he had to re srart his tank. Hope you dont have to do that bro
Terrible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2018, 10:38 PM
Live Sale Pioneer
Send a Private Message
Thanks bud. It's gonna be an uphill battle I'm sure, just have to stick with it. Today, as I hoped there are no signs of any bugs and all corals that were fragged last night look great. That doesn't mean they aren't somewhere in the tank, cause I know they are. As soon as my dips arrive, I'm going to start.

Going to do 30 seconds - 1 minute of melafix marine, then rinse, then 5 - 8 mins in Revive. Hoping the double dip will weaken them. I chose these two dips because people reported success with both at least stunning the bugs. At this point there isn't much to lose.

Mike, it really sucks as I had just completely filled my tank with all acros. I kept track of where all my acros came from, so whatever I lose will be replaced once I'm bug free for at least a month. Keep that purple slimer for me, I still want it!