Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Reef Database Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2018, 11:21 PM
Live Sale Pioneer
Moderator: This member is a Moderator. - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (157 (100%)
Friends: (83)
Send a Private Message
Everything looks okay today. Haven’t seen any bugs since fragging and placing them all on the mag float. Bugs are still in the tank for sure I’m just not sure if they can make it to acros as this is directly in front of a gyre xf250 so it may be too turbulent for them to land or crawl to.

Dips arrive in a few days and the real fun will start. If there’s no signs of bugs I’ll just do the gentle melafix dip and a regular strength revive dip immediately after.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 11-28-2018, 11:24 PM
Reefer Ratings: (55 (100%)
Friends: (6)
Send a Private Message
I still cant believe that magfloat. It looks so funny with all those different sticks coming off. Good luck with the dipping. As I had mentioned earlier, my strain was immune to everything. Never tried melafix, but they laughed at revive
Old 11-28-2018, 11:32 PM
Live Sale Pioneer
Send a Private Message
hahah yea it’s funny looking at it. My tank looks sad though.

I’m actually hoping the double whammy does the trick. But next week will be the test. Hoping to find a way to deal with these that’s managable for other reefers too.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:47 PM
Live Sale Pioneer
Send a Private Message
Alright so day 1 of dipping is over and I saw what I believe to be those bugs fall off the corals. I counted less than a dozen when I finished the melafix marine dip and then another 3 when I finished the revive dip.

I did normal strength for both dips at 5 minutes each. Shaking and swirling the bucket every minute. I placed the mag float flat on the bottom of the bucket and attached the magnet to the outside so it wouldn’t move. Worked like a charm. Spent 15 minutes total dipping. Next dip will be Saturday, just melafix. Follow in 4 days by revive. Then in another 4 days by melafix and revive. I’m going to keep dipping until I see no pests for 3 weeks straight.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 12-04-2018, 11:19 PM
Send a Private Message
Nice! Glad its working for you
Old 12-04-2018, 11:37 PM
Live Sale Pioneer
Send a Private Message
Fingers crossed but it looks promising. For all we know it’s a similar looking bug that’s completely different.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:43 PM
Live Sale Pioneer
Send a Private Message
Day 4 dip and things are looking promising. I've seen no new bite marks and corals are holding up pretty well. Today I wasn't able to see any bugs fall off, just some pods. I went through the same process of Melafix Marine followed immediately by a quick saltwater bath and then Revive. Both dips were done at normal strength for 6-7 minutes each.

I'm going to continue dipping for a few more weeks to make sure they are really gone and no eggs are hidden waiting to hatch. I may have caught this early enough and taken drastic enough measure to beat them. Cutting the corals back to little pieces got rid of the masses and the stragglers seemed to get knocked off in the first dip.

I'll keep this thread updated dip by dip to see what comes of this.

Cautiously optimistic over here.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:11 PM
Live Sale Pioneer
Send a Private Message
Another week gone and no sign of bite marks or pests. Did another round of dipping today and didn’t have any bugs fall off.

Going to do two more weeks of dipping. Colors are sticking around and corals are starting to slowly encrust the glue on the mag float. All good signs.

Hopeful I won’t lose any more pieces at this point.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:39 PM
Send a Private Message
Nice job. I'm glad you were able to get rid of them so quick. Definitely still be vigilant for the next few weeks.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:19 AM
Live Sale Pioneer
Send a Private Message
THANKS!

Honestly think I Got lucky. Caught them early, chopped everything and then broke the cycle of them layin eggs with the first dips. We’ll see how the next few weeks go, for all I know they’re somewhere in the tank hunting for acros.