Jose.hern621

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I had a tank with a bunch of tangs (yellow, scopas, purple, sailfin, blonde naso, vlamingi, chevron, blue hippo, kole) that were there since day one, all were about 5?-6? inches. Then I pulled the trigger and got a 2?-3? Gem, they would chase it around but nothing too serious where I would pull it out. After a few days they acted like the Gem was never there. Might have been they didn?t see it as a threat due to its size, or it was only a problem till they got used to it being around. Although it was tiny when introduced into my tank, it would stand its ground once in a while when being bullied.

Since then I sold all of them due to size and only have the Gem left. It?s now about 7?-8? and happy in the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jose.hern621

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Mine is only a 125g long. It was way over stocked and too small for my tangs as years went by, just don?t tell the tang police...I?ve only got a few fish left in it. Pride and joy is the Gem.

STRIPERVIPER

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.8%
161   2   0
Bad beat down

I added a gem to a tank that had yellow and purple tangs as well as hippo and naso. The yellow and purple were smaller than the gem but they were relentless. I finally pulled them out. The gem is still in my tank and is aggressive to other new additions but not as bad as my Achilles. The Achilles attacks anything new in the tank. Try putting the purple and yellow in an acclimation box or a separate tank until the gem gets established in the tank. At least a week. I have found that once one fish begins to harass a new addition others will follow suit. I just put a powder blue in my display after qt and before I did I put my Achilles in my acclimation box and the powder blue has been relatively left alone. The gem bothers the blue a little but not terrible. My display is 150 gallons.

Jose.hern621

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
IMO purple tangs are the most aggressive of the tangs. I?ve had a bunch and all my purples were *****s who eventually had to go. Hippo and Naso seem to be the most doscile in my experience.

At one point all my tangs went through a rebellious stage going after other tangs, even after anthias, but eventually they passed this stage. The ones that actually never bothered any other fish were my blonde naso and vlamingi, and they were the biggest.

Nycreef

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
the only way i can add new tangs successfully in my tank for years was to add at least four tangs together or dont add any at all. i have a sohal, clown, hippo, achilles, purple, yellows and many others. if i ever added one at a time that fish would be mutilated with seconds and wouldnt last an hour in there. id suggest adding at least two tangs to soften the bullying or if you cant then remove the existing tang, wait a week or two and add him back.

anthonys51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.6%
123   3   0
Yes the purple isn?t even in the same league as the sohal

I added a shoulder tang in and it was killed in 1 day.
Next time I added 4 yellows
They all got chased but not relentlessly
Also added 2 mata tangs
They get chased but nothing too bad

I do want to take the sohal out but so hard to catch it in a 265
All it does all chase my other tangs around. Funny thing is it gets more aggressive when I feed nori

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

STRIPERVIPER

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.8%
161   2   0
Fish trap

To catch the sohal try a fish trap. I use one and it?s very effective. Some fish are more reluctant to go in but some like my Achilles swim right in. It?s a big acrylic box that has a feeding tube and a glass door that will slide down when you release it. Very effective and I have caught numerous fish in it. It?s next to impossible to catch fish with a net in large tanks. The only exception I?ve found is clownfish.

anthonys51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.6%
123   3   0
To catch the sohal try a fish trap. I use one and it?s very effective. Some fish are more reluctant to go in but some like my Achilles swim right in. It?s a big acrylic box that has a feeding tube and a glass door that will slide down when you release it. Very effective and I have caught numerous fish in it. It?s next to impossible to catch fish with a net in large tanks. The only exception I?ve found is clownfish.

Yes I am just too cheap to buy a fish trap

Lol

Yes catching it with a net is almost impossible

Even tried catching it when I feed the tank
I can catch my blonde naso, blue thrust trigger that way. They just swim into the net :)

So far I only noticed one gash on my powder blue with healed in a couple of days
The bullying is just a few second chase as of now. It littleral chases 7 different fish so I think no one fish gets too much stress. It beats up my 2 smaller Mata tangs the worse. I got them the size of a half dollar and now they are over 4 inches long. They grew this fast in 9 months. Fastest growing fish I ever had

Once the fights get worse I might just buy a trap

Does anyone on here have s trap large enough I can borrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: