Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Hey all what are some tips and tricks on removing palys from your tank? I have a patch of green paly's that are on some rock structure that is not removable. I was thinking using rubber gloves with a scalpel and a suction hose and just cutting the bases and sucking them out of the tank my concern as if they're in the bucket will they release Paly toxins if so will they release them into the air and such. Obviously I would not do it while my wife and baby is home but I really don't want to get myself sick either. They're really taking over a section of my tank and wreaking havoc on some of my other Coral.

Free to anybody that wants to come and remove them!
fc31c479805c82a1844b80ed9c110049.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

IBernE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I got rid of mine using a kalkwasser paste and a syringe. Note that I got a syringe which was too small and the paste didn't pull up the syringe well so I had to get a syringe with a slightly larger opening. Careful with using too much kalk at a time of course so maybe don't do all of them at once. I also ran carbon at the same time just for some peace of mind regarding the paly toxins that could potentially be released into the tank. I'm not sure if the carbon takes care of it but helped me sleep at night and I'm still here and no hospital admission lol

IBernE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Yea mine were tucked between a bunch of zoas and I just went for it. They kept spreading non stop and stinging them so I took the chance. Some seemed to suffer but to me it was a sacrifice to stop them from spreading.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
The best thing to do is take a pair of scissors and cut off the head, you can then either scoop up the heads with a small net or use a turkey baster and suck them up.

Sound good, i will try, make sense in stand to pock .
Sound like , Hair cut ,lol.

Reef Reaper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
256   0   0
I cut as close to the rock with a pair of scissors first. Then I scrape the rock with a scalpel . Also while doing this , I usually suck out the pieces with a siphon tube as the palys comes of the rock. When I finish, I complete the water change. Some comes back but usually most are gone. Good luck

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
Mike if cutting works go for it, but I tried the cutting the head and the problem I had was when I touched one they all closed up tight. I used the kalk and syringe only doing a couple at a time to avoid an alk spike. They didn?t grow in a day and neither will removing them. Running extra carbon will help with toxins. I now only keep them on islands or lower in the tank using more powerful corals to beat them down like Euphyillia, (torch?s,frogspawn etc..) or Hydnophoras etc...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gobywon

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Drain the tank down below that area. Take a battery operated grinder with a tile saw blade and cut the rock below the palys. You could use a dremel with a metal cutting disk disk, but the grinder is much better suited to the job. Admitttedly, this is a strong response, but it can't fail to remove those that you can see. When fighting a tough enemy sometimes you need to bring in the heavy artillery.:smile:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: