Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Reef Database Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2018, 03:06 AM
Reefer Ratings: (32 (100%)
Friends: (20)
Send a Private Message
Also you can order live bacteria from Fritz that has to be overnight shipped but still best to not jump right in without cycled rock as it will still go through one.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:41 PM
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
If I ran the dry rock in a brute container with saltwater a heater and a pump for a few weeks do I need to do water changes in the brute containers during the process? I’d imagine I’d have to. Would it be a bad idea to put both the live rock from my friends tank and dry rock together in the brute?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2018, 03:12 PM
The All Powerful OZ
Moderator: This member is a Moderator. - Issue reason: Moderator badge 
Reefer Ratings: (52 (98%)
Friends: (43)
Send a Private Message
No, you don't do a water change until the end, when the cycle is complete. At which point you can then rinse off the rock and move it into your new tank.

I would put the live rock from your friend tank into your new tank, as it should be good enough to support your livestock from your old tank. You may get a small cycle from it, or just a little spike, but it shouldn't really be much, at which point you can move the livestock into it. Let the dry rock cycle in the bucket, and once it's done you can move it into the new tank.

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright before they speak.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.

It is far easier to fool people than to show them that they've been fooled.

Old 12-31-2018, 03:46 PM
Send a Private Message
Okay I think I’m going to fill my tank with fresh saltwater and add the live rock from my friends tank let it sit for two days, test, add livestock then add the cured dry rock after a month or so. I plan on ordering it today just checking my options. So I’ll run them in the brute container before my tank even gets here it’s not expected until mid January so I’d only have to run the dry rock for only about 2 more weeks while my tank is running. If you have any recommendations for dry rock online let me know. Or check out reefcleaners rock and tell me what u think. Thanks!

Old 12-31-2018, 06:13 PM
The All Powerful OZ
Moderator: This member is a Moderator. - Issue reason: Moderator badge 
Reefer Ratings: (52 (98%)
Friends: (43)
Send a Private Message
It looks very similar to Marco Rock and price wise it's $2.50lb shipped, which is pretty good, plus they said that they treated it. The only thing is that you don't get to pick the shapes.

I haven't brought dry rock in many years, so maybe others can chime in.

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright before they speak.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.

It is far easier to fool people than to show them that they've been fooled.

Old 12-31-2018, 06:49 PM
Send a Private Message
I actually pulled the trigger on Marco rocks today i talked to a bunch of ppl so I will be using them as my dry rock to add to the existing live rock I’m getting with the new tank. I’m just going to cure the Marco rock for a lil bit in some containers with saltwater