ckcustomz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
hey guys...lets start by saying yes i have read post on all my symptoms and have tried some and no luck...

First my 40g breeder had turf algae and got out of hand and my sps,lps, and even zoas were looking havve but that damn turf algae looked happy as hell ... only if it grew in nice colors id have a full reef with turf algae lol... but no, so i end up take all my corals off , removed as much turf algae from frag disks and so on...and removed all my rock work out and trashed them

Bought all new dry rock, aquascaped and basically put in the tank... yes on know im kinda starting the cycle over but i didnt think it would get this bad... i started getting alot of brown stuff all over everything and figured it was diatoms but only got worse when lights were on and at night my sand and rocks would be pure white

I tested with hanna url phosphorus and came up ?0?... i had my rowaphos running over what it should have..so i figured i bottomed out and once again started my cycle over since i had nothing...

So i have all over this brown stuff and i hope its diatoms but at times looks like dinoflagellates... ive already done the 3 day black out, peroxide dose 1ml per 10g, cut my lighting to half, changed filter sock several times, running my skimmer a lil more than usual and nothing... thinking of using dino x or vibrant but dont like to waste money on thing that prob wont work and becomes a waste and still have the problem ... i added a bottle of special blend 2 weeks ago and was wondering if i should add another to add more bacteria

Parameters

Kh 8
Cal 460
Mag 1400
Ph 8.1
Phos 0.03
Nitrate 10ppm
Salinity 1.026
Temp 75

I use rodi and red sea salt blue bucket

Havent did a water change in 3 weeks cause i wasnt sure what it was and didnt want to add anymore silicates for it to feed on

Attachments

• 29FC9C86-ED75-483D-BA62-BBD79B3081D2.jpg
    29FC9C86-ED75-483D-BA62-BBD79B3081D2.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 140
  • 62F6FF4F-61A7-4D75-86C3-9C66CABEBBAB.jpg
    62F6FF4F-61A7-4D75-86C3-9C66CABEBBAB.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 140
  • 6CC2ABCC-D646-4DAC-B107-46E76A94FBAB.jpg
    6CC2ABCC-D646-4DAC-B107-46E76A94FBAB.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 142

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
Over on R2R, there is a thread of Dino's. It helped me to get rid of them after I tried everything. It is a long read but well worth it. Specific species of Dinos can be treated in different ways.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dinoflagellates-–-are-you-tired-of-battling-altogether.293318/

I bought a cheap toy microscope and identified ostreopsis species of Dino's. Luckily this species was easily treated with A UV sterilizer, and I haven't seen them since.

Dino can also start by having 0 NO3 or 0 PO4. It is recommended to raise those levels to combat them.

Chefjpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Over on R2R, there is a thread of Dino's. It helped me to get rid of them after I tried everything. It is a long read but well worth it. Specific species of Dinos can be treated in different ways.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dinoflagellates-–-are-you-tired-of-battling-altogether.293318/

I bought a cheap toy microscope and identified ostreopsis species of Dino's. Luckily this species was easily treated with A UV sterilizer, and I haven't seen them since.

Dino can also start by having 0 NO3 or 0 PO4. It is recommended to raise those levels to combat them.
This!
I beat them pretty quickly following this thread

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
What ECvernon said is key you have to identify which strain you have first. Im working on ostreopsis myself right now. Just got the UV in gonna set it up this weekend and have been rasing NO3 5/10 ppm and PO4 .1 ppm to recommended lvls. GL luck ive lost pretty much lost all the sps frags i bought over the last few months even WD i bought from Vio is starting to RTN from the high lvls. :mad:.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: