Kworker

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Anybody still using metal halides? Debating on should I continue to use my 400w's or go with something else. T5/ Hybrids

I do, getting back into Acros soon.. I always had success at 250w never went higher.

I?d look into supplementing with LEDs/T5 and running the halides on shortened time.

brick-brothers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
338   0   0
I do, getting back into Acros soon.. I always had success at 250w never went higher.

I?d look into supplementing with LEDs/T5 and running the halides on shortened time.
My old setup was mh, with t5 and leds. Had the best growth with sps then any other lights.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I just went back. (welcome back by the way) I am running the Reefbrite Hybrids and loving them already. 2 tanks I am running the 36" 250W and XHO and then on my 93 Cube have a custom fixture running a 400W w Radium and 2x 24" XHO.

I was running T5 last 2 years. ATI with Reefbrites. I had no issues growing with them as well - but loving the halides so far.

Spartanwarrior

Reefer Always Learning
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I say you have the space for heat dissipation and money to burn on electricity, mH is the way to go for your acros.
if you plan on a mixed reef, T5s and the new fangled leds are plenty good enough to get you consistent results. technology has upgraded for sure. I run like Reefinny used to 8 bulb T5, xho reefbrite combo and im seeing very nice results probably with a fraction of the heat produced and a lower PSEG bill.
you see the tanks with MH running, like VIO and TUSI and you get jealous, but you also see great tanks with the combos running. its all a matter of your situation imo.

brick-brothers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
338   0   0
I just went back. (welcome back by the way) I am running the Reefbrite Hybrids and loving them already. 2 tanks I am running the 36" 250W and XHO and then on my 93 Cube have a custom fixture running a 400W w Radium and 2x 24" XHO.

I was running T5 last 2 years. ATI with Reefbrites. I had no issues growing with them as well - but loving the halides so far.

Thanks. I love my Mh especially for sps tank. It's kinda of giving them up, lol

brick-brothers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
338   0   0
I say you have the space for heat dissipation and money to burn on electricity, mH is the way to go for your acros.
if you plan on a mixed reef, T5s and the new fangled leds are plenty good enough to get you consistent results. technology has upgraded for sure. I run like Reefinny used to 8 bulb T5, xho reefbrite combo and im seeing very nice results probably with a fraction of the heat produced and a lower PSEG bill.
you see the tanks with MH running, like VIO and TUSI and you get jealous, but you also see great tanks with the combos running. its all a matter of your situation imo.

I might have to get solar panels just for my Mh if I decide to go that route again, lol

Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Thanks. I love my Mh especially for sps tank. It's kinda of giving them up, lol
All three of my tanks have the halide shimmer now!

Let me know when your ready I will send you a pack.
ea46e3af9330998719b117ce66864fcd.jpg
3ba7a06fff587dc18fe4ae3fe46dd390.jpg
dc57ebb175e8717a15bb05c3a772180b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Thanks man. I am running the twin arc reefbrite bulbs in the 80 and 100. I run 10k for a few hours then run 20k a few hours. Get the best of both worlds. The cube is straight up 400w 20k radium.

I am think solar panels might be a good idea... lol

brick-brothers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
338   0   0
Thanks man. I am running the twin arc reefbrite bulbs in the 80 and 100. I run 10k for a few hours then run 20k a few hours. Get the best of both worlds. The cube is straight up 400w 20k radium.

I am think solar panels might be a good idea... lol

Yea I'm leaning more towards keeping my 400w's being how my 300g is wide and deep. Decisions Decisions, lol

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
I do , 3 x 400 w Radium , i try 12 x 80w T5 , in my opinion nothing is even close to MH , i decided to run 2 G4 LEDs ( just to enjoy the pop color ) i mean the "Disco" light. Except electrical $ and heat , nothing is close for list 10 years. I refer to 99% SPS.

brick-brothers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
338   0   0
I do , 3 x 400 w Radium , i try 12 x 80w T5 , in my opinion nothing is even close to MH , i decided to run 2 G4 LEDs ( just to enjoy the pop color ) i mean the "Disco" light. Except electrical $ and heat , nothing is close for list 10 years. I refer to 99% SPS.

Yea I was thinking about how I can penny pinch by avoiding MH's. But my 3 400w did me well before the break down.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: