albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Full statement from Petco:

"Petco today announced that we have made the difficult but necessary decision to close the Drs. Foster and Smith (DFS) business based in Rhinelander, Wis., on February 12, 2019. Taking into account the needs of modern pet parents, shifting consumer preferences and the ongoing evolution of the Petco brand, we believe this will enable us to streamline operations and better focus on our core business and customer. This change affects 289 employees, with their last days of employment varying over the next 60 to 120 days - all have been notified and will be provided severance and transition support. This decision has not been an easy one, nor has it been made lightly, and we appreciate that it has a very real effect on both individuals and the broader community in Rhinelander. In an effort to help, we?re committed to working with local officials to provide ample outplacement programming for those impacted starting in February. We greatly appreciate all of our partners for their dedicated service and contributions to Drs. Foster and Smith and to Petco."

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
From the reports that I've read, it looks like LIve Aquaria and Divers Den will still be around (for now)

"Parent company Petco announced Wednesday that it will permanently close all operations in Rhinelander, except for its 'Live Aquaria' business. Drs. Foster and Smith is America's largest catalog and online seller of pet supplies."

Last edited:

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Well the fish that aren't in the Diver Den ship out of California, so they could leave Live Aquaria open and just have the administration part out of California instead of WI or combine it with their current PetCo administration, as they do sell live fish through their website.

The Diver Den is in WI, but does it make enough to keep it running long term?

I think we also need to remember that Dr Foster & Smith does a lot more than fish, which is probably a duplication of services between the two and it probably can be handled just by PetCo current operations instead of having a separate office in WI.

ReefWreak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
They originally said they purchased Drs. Foster Smith for the mail-order pet medication business. Now they've integrated it into their main platforms, and they're dissolving what was already duplicated by their own website.

I'm just relieved that they specified they would leave LiveAquaria out of the closure. I wonder if they'll ultimately integrate LiveAquaria into their main website (and stores) even more, and dissolve the branding that LiveAquaria has built up. That would be a big waste of buying a sought-after brand name.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I wouldn't be surprise if the fish that the sell on PetCo website come from the same place that LA is using in California. In would be wise for them to leave LA up, or at least hang onto the name, but you really don't know what they're making from it and if in the long run is it worthwhile to keep going.

Timbo

Got Reef?
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Spoke to a live aquaria rep today and she said they are moving them to the coral propegation facility and will ?remain open and will not be affected by the closing of the Wisconsin facility.? Sounds like this is what they have been told but doesn?t sound like they have much faith in this statement. She was super nice and very thankful for my concern and was super appreciative toward me as a customer.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: