Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2019, 12:20 AM
Got Reef?
Reefer Ratings: (2 (100%)
Friends: (4)
Send a Private Message
Taking out the aptasia with peppermint shrimp and attacking the red slime with manual removal and water changes is worth a shot if you want to salvage. Not sure if bacteria like vibrant is useful for redslime but would look into it as an option...
Old 01-14-2019, 08:59 AM
Reefer Ratings: (3 (100%)
Friends: (10)
Send a Private Message
Hit it with red slime remover and do a few substantial water changes.

Unfortunately though...maintenance is the key to success...so if ur not gonna keep up on the at least a monthly water change, all the effort trying to get it back may be a waste of time.

I know probably not what u want to hear.

There's always contracting a service to come in and do maintenance for u.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:35 PM
Reefer Ratings: (69 (100%)
Friends: (6)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
Taking out the aptasia with peppermint shrimp and attacking the red slime with manual removal and water changes is worth a shot if you want to salvage. Not sure if bacteria like vibrant is useful for redslime but would look into it as an option...
Vibrant definitely isnt good for red slime. I tried using it for bubble algae, but all it did was cause a cyano outbreak in my tank. I would advise against using that stuff, although i do know some people say they have gotten it to work great.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:39 PM
Reefer Ratings: (3 (100%)
Friends: (10)
Send a Private Message
I think the apthasia is gonna be a longer, slower battle than u anticipate.

If the outbreak is that full blown..I'd consider starting over.