Timbo

Got Reef?
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Went away for a few days and came home to Dino outbreak. Had a little Cyano but no other issues for months. Any suggestions on remedy? Tank is stocked with fish, LPS, and softies.

jd371

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had to remove my UV because of space issues early on after my tank was set up. Two years ago I had dinos pop up in my tank. I set up the UV again temporarily to run at night when the dino are in the free swimming stage. I used a spare canister filter with the UV and would blast off all the surfaces with a turkey baster before the lights shut off. Did this for about 3 weeks until there was no sign of dinos and continued another week before breaking the UV/canister filter set up down.

Timbo

Got Reef?
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think UV is the key. I was away so had only the automatic feeder going so nutrient dropped. Display isn?t as covered to today and it?s been 5 days home so adding the uv might help clear it up completely. Going to give that a go and see how it works.

Timbo

Got Reef?
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks Vio. I have been blowing them off and changing out socks. I still have them but population is reducing each day.

jab161

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Not an expert by far, but i battled them for a month. I fed more and did a 3 day full black out. I covered every inch of the tank with black heavy duty garbage bags, letting NO light in. I left a small opening for 1 of my fans to blow fresh air onto the dt surface. Havent seen a sign of them in 3 months.

Timbo

Got Reef?
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So far winning with blowing them off, regular sock changes, and increased feeding. Didn?t pull the trigger on a UV but looks like naturally clearing up which is great news. Tank is almost back to regular. Love this hobby. Sometimes you just never know...

Timbo

Got Reef?
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Now on to some aptasia that are popping up. Had one or two, now at least five or six. Gotta stay ahead of them. Going to look like a drug addict tomorrow when I get a syringe from CVS to inject some poison into the little *******s.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: