dowellmj

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. The protective cover I have over a filter intake had somehow come off and last night one of my small BTA?s got sucked in, had the foot/body badly mangled by the impeller to where it jammed it up causing the water in the filter to heat as well. I removed what was left of the nem damage seems mainly to the lower half. The tentacles are obviously not inflated but when I removed and placed in a separate container and slowly rinsed off as much as damaged pieces I thought some tentacles slowly moved. As such I placed the nem back in the display in one of those breeding traps (see pics). Tentacles still have color, I don?t know about actual tentacles movement anymore as there is current in tank but my question is how does one know when the nem is actually dead as I canny imagine it survived the damage and temp increase but as the tentacles have color I was willing to try. It?s in a 30g so I am concerned about the water quality of the nem is degrading. Appreciate any help (best pics I could get)

Attachments

• 1D3C0E8C-A9C0-4E57-9F58-25B63D4243EE.jpg
    1D3C0E8C-A9C0-4E57-9F58-25B63D4243EE.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 232
  • 32DD73C0-8BA7-4A4E-989C-3E7C9C59CDE1.jpg
    32DD73C0-8BA7-4A4E-989C-3E7C9C59CDE1.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 228
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Hey! how are you? still have the seine net? You'll need to do a big water change, it will recover, just don't lock it up in a box with no flow. anemones can be fragged by cutting them in half. (I've not done it myself though, just wanted to know both halve will heal). I did have the same problem as you, after which I had a much smaller but healthy one after it healed up.

dowellmj

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do indeed so we will have to do some more searching for tropicals!

Re the nem, looks like the foot and lower half took the most damage which is why I wanted it confined in case it couldn?t grip. I also use a magnetic algae scraper to hold the box below the surface so there is still some flow in there. It actually looks much better this morning and one of the tentacles has inflated to a bubble! If this guy pulls through it is truly amazing as it was mangled and in water that must have been 90+ degrees when it jammed the impeller. I will try a tiny piece of food later

thedragoneel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My 2 cents. If the foot is damaged it will die. Looking at the photos, pull it and discard. Anemones splitting naturally vs being chewed up by a propeller are not the same. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Every situation is going to be different. I've had several get mangle and chewed up over the years and most survived but some didn't. I would do a water change now and keep your eyes on the anemone and your water parameters over the new week. If it continues to degrade over the next week I would think it won't come back

dowellmj

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. May be the case...wasn?t sure what else I could do if it couldn?t attach although in hindsight maybe I could have rigged some rockwork where it was in the display but secured somehow so it could be prevented from blowing around

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: