frvarugh

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Heyy MR nation!

Needed help on my RBTAs. For the the past 4 or 5 months, my RBTAs have bleached. I swapped out bulbs on my 6 bulb ATI fixture around that time but have always kept the bulbs on 70% and even less at times.

My nitrates have always been on the higher end but nothing extreme. The RBTAs have always been dark pink and stringy until now. Any ideas? I've tried big multiple water changes and things haven't really improved. Meanwhile, they're strong footed and eat anything I give them.

Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 20190527_145608.jpg
    20190527_145608.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 187

thedragoneel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
First, nice clowns.

That?s an interesting picture. Never seen so many anemones bleaching like that. I?ve never had a rbta bleach like yours and I?ve had many. My tank with RBTA?s runs hot, high in nutrients and basic t5 lights and they thrive. Don?t think it?s a water quality issue. It?s got to be the lights. But t5 you use should easily do the job. My guess, too strong lights. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frvarugh

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I believe it's 16 inches tall (80 gallon deep blue rimless). So you guys suggest I ramp down the ATI T5 lights? They're at 65-70% already.

Again, I've had these RBTA's for over a span of 3-4 years as they split and grew all over the tank. Really odd this happened all of a sudden. I thought it was due to one time earlier this year when I used tap water for a water change for an emergency but I've done multiple water changes with RO since.

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Last edited:

thedragoneel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If you had RBTA?s for years and suddenly this happened with the same light output, then water quality could be the issue. The anemones even have bulbs and are not stringy meaning light is sufficient. Some type of toxin is stressing them. Weird cause they look good but turning white. Keep us posted.

frvarugh

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Just a skimmer, 2 chemi-pur bags and a filter sock. I feel like there's some toxin as you mentioned because nothing has really changed in terms of filtration or lights.

Maybe I should swap out the old chemi-pures and put new ones? Thanks for the insight.

thedragoneel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Lastly, looks like the rock with anemones is on sand bed. Try putting rock half way up the tank to allow more direct light. Other than that run carbon and hope for the best.

frvarugh

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Update:

I moved the rock of anemones from the right side, to the left side, under the gyre pump. A lot of the anemones are getting their pink colors back. Not sure if it's the lighting or flow but it's working!

Attachments

• 20190615_155719.jpg
    20190615_155719.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 20190629_133524.jpg
    20190629_133524.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 85

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: