Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Currently have my 75g tank on first floor of my house I?m looking to upgrade but want the tank in the basement was looking to upgrade to around a 180g tank .. the floor is concrete ..I guess the real questions I have is what sort of temperature issues should I be concerned with the tank set up in the basement , any concerns with evaporation... where tank will be placed there?s is 2 windows close by ...ANY recommendations , thoughts or experiences with a tank in basement is greatly appreciated thanks

Czynot

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I think tank in basement is best because no worry about water spills that can damage the floor. Basement is always cooler in the summer. If your basement is heated? than not much to worry about, otherwise 300w heater is enough for 75gl tank with 20gl sump. Only thing to keep eye out is CO2 build up in closed up basement from the boiler room. CO2 will drop the ph in the tank. Bring in some fresh air from outside will help increase the PH.

Czynot

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have mine 100g in my finished basement. Winter does drive down the PH due to trapped co2 from boilers and people in the house. I drilled a hole to the outside and put the air tube into my skimmer. That raise the PH back up. No issues.
I have tile floor in the basement. No matter how careful I am, every time I work on the tank I manage to spill some water onto the floor. My first floor have hardwood floors. I don't think the wife will want to see salt water spill or salt creep on hardwood floor.

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Although ph in a reef tank is important that?s not my real concerns ..I?m thinking more on house issues like .tank on hardwood floors , temperature, evaporation issues , humidity issues With a tank in basement...tank levels I can manage and know how to deal you know

FMF0331

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
199   0   0

Currently have my 75g tank on first floor of my house I?m looking to upgrade but want the tank in the basement was looking to upgrade to around a 180g tank .. the floor is concrete ..I guess the real questions I have is what sort of temperature issues should I be concerned with the tank set up in the basement , any concerns with evaporation... where tank will be placed there?s is 2 windows close by ...ANY recommendations , thoughts or experiences with a tank in basement is greatly appreciated thanks

my basement tank

Attachments

• base.jpg
    base.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 103

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: