Charley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Had tangs on my mind and was thinking of the tang police, then got to thinking: where does the "responsibility" lie in the hobby in terms of the welfare of our fish?

Does it begin with the people pulling fish out of the oceans?
The handlers of the fish at point of origin?
The transporters?
The wholesalers?
The LFS?
The Hobbyist?

Why the hobbyist? anything we bring home is lightyears better than a LFS at that point.... usually.

In terms of scale, it is so miniscule the loss of a few fish in our hobby compared to the ravages and savagery of commercial fishing. Because our fish looks prettier than a herring we feel entitled to give it more weight than the life of our precious little tropical fish? Pretty arrogant of our hobby if you ask me.

For anyone who complains that a fellow hobbyist does not treat a fish as "well" or needs a bigger tank, etc., , do such people recycle so perfectly that none of their plastic enters the ocean and gets swallowed by big magnificent sea creatures?

The hypocrisy and arrogance of it all.

Just thoughts, no one complained to me about anything...all good, just conversation.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered

The retail/wholesale/collection (money side) needs to do their part too. Or not, and watch the entire market get regulated out of existence

thomashtom

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
There are certain species of fish that should not be kept by hobbiest. But the collectors still collect them because the LFS will sell them to someone who did not their research?s and the LFS sometimes don?t care.( not all of them). So people should do their research so these species are not bought and maybe they will stop collecting them. Thanks

Charley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
In reality, NO fish should be kept by the hobbyist. You think a tang is that much happier relative to the ocean by being kept in a slightly bigger tank? It's laughable. Dont buy any fish and go snorkling if one really, truly cares.

Not upset, devils advocate...

skiwez

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an avid driver and scuba diver i can say that divers have probably the same amount of impact on the ecosystem as the tropical fish hobby. The vast majority of divers are new and inexperienced come crashing down on the reefs walking on corals etc. Not necessarily intentionally but it does h as happen. That's why if you talk to divemasters there are the sacrificial reefs they take tourists. And then there are the reefs they will infrequently visit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: