mgchan

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Dallas > I like the idea of using overflow strainers instead of using an overflow box.

In your experience, when there is no power, does it limit the amount of water going into your sump/refugium, like an overflow box? Or is there more volume of water going down before stopping when the level in the main tank goes down?

Thanks for your previous response!
Mike

DallasNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I'm not sure what you are asking?

The amount of water going down the return line (tank to sump)doesn't change in a power outtage.

The reason more water goes down to the refugium in a power outtage is because a siphon is created in the supply line (coming from your sump pump to the main tank). The siphon will contiunue until the water level reaches a point where air can enter the supply line tube and break the siphon.

You can fix this by either putting a check valve in the supply line so the water can only flow in one direction. Or you can drill a small hole in the supply line just at the top near the water line. This way, as soon as the water in the main tank drops below the elevation of the hole, air will enter the tube and break the siphon.

mgchan

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I know the check value or hole on the return line stops the water going down, I was more concerned on the drain line.

For some reason I thought the overflow controls the amount of water going down the drain by how far down the top is from the surface of the water. When there is no power, because of the siphon or gravity, the water continues going into the overflow until it gets to the lowest level of the teeth. I guess not having an overflow myself is why I'm asking this question.

[ October 28, 2003, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: mgchan ]

DallasNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Oh ok, then yes, its just like the overflow box. There's like a 1/8" to 1/4" difference lower when the flow is off.

With the strainer you rotate it up or down to control the water level.

[ October 28, 2003, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: DallasNYC ]

4angel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to beat a dead horse with a stick...
I figure I would drill the hole place the bulkhead and run a line from the hole to the sump. water goes from the sump back to the tank via return pump(right?).

4angel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hay Dallas I am wondering if the offer to loan me the bit is still on the table. I have a frag of yellow monti for you for your help in this.

partagas

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originally posted by DallasNYC:
The bit was like $40.00. I got it from a company called "C.R. Laurence Co., Inc." You are always welcome to burrow my bit. I even have a little jig that I made to help hold the bit in place.
Dallas,
Do you have a phone number for them or a website. I am looking to buy a drill bite, and can't find one. I need it to drill my 90 and my 120. Also do you have a picture of your jig. Would like to make one for myself.

Thanks

DallasNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Thier website is http://www.crlaurence.com/ Do a search for "hole saw" and you will find them. At the time, they actually didn't sell directly to the public and made me sign up for a corporate account (doesnt cost anything) before I could order anything. I was able to wing it because I used one of the construction companies I deal with.

4Angle took some pictures of the jig just today, I think he is planning on posting them. It's really just a small box to hold some glycol with a another piece of wood with a hole in it to help guide the drill bit.

The bit I have is the EDD134 1-3/4" standard plated

[ November 28, 2003, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: DallasNYC ]

4angel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks a lil FYI DallasNYC not only let me borrow the dimond drill bit he also volenteered to come over and give me a hand. It was nice to have you over D thanks again. your help in this part of the job really helped. I will have some step by step pics posted in the gallery soon.

partagas

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dallas, thank you for the 411. Also I can't wait to see the post.

As a newbie here. Where will the photo's be posted??

Again thanks

4angel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added the pics of the job with a brief discription in my gallery. Dallas please feel free to add what I may have not.

4angel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi make sure your loged on and when you are at the home page look to the left side of the page.
where it says navigation.

partagas

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
two things; 1) I am an Idiot, was on the homepage for the forum not MR. That is way I could not find the Gallery. 2) Maybe it's me, but I would not use antifreeze, I would be afraid of any left over in or on the glass. Just think what it could and or would do to your tank.

P.S.

Angel TY for posting the pics. They are very helpful when it comes time for me to drill my tanks.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: