Koyfam16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
For anyone that has a matted file fish, do you have any issues with it picking at corals?

I?m currently debating adding one to my tank for aiptasia control but everywhere I look it says add with caution.

On the flip side I?m looking to sell my entire setup but figure I?d rid the aiptasia first.
I had luck with peppermint shrimp and tank was aiptasia free for months but it seems my dottyback kept picking on them which eventually killed them off and not aiptasia is back.

Also tried aiptasia x but never seems to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FishyKat

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My file fish ate all my aptasia in less than 2 weeks. Had him for about 3 weeks total

While he didn't eat my other corals (was hoping he'd eat some nuclear polyps), my duncans did close up tight. Once i rehomed him, my duncans came back.

jd371

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had mine for a couple of months now. Besides an Acan that I moved to another tank he hasn't touched any of the other corals in my mixed reef, probably because I tend to feed heavy. Unfortunately he doesn't eat the Aptasia, I haven't seen him eat any but if he does it's probably just the small ones because all I see are big ones.

Spartanwarrior

Reefer Always Learning
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
there are a ton of different file fish out there. do your research and make sure its the aiptasia eating kind. I had one for about 4 months. ate the aiptasia and ate plenty of foods I introduced into the tank. I have zoas, duncans, gongorians, shrooms, softies...never saw him picking. as long as they are well fed, like most fish they will tend to stear clear of corals. but very important to get the correct subspecies. and of course no fish is completely reef safe. there is always that one of every kind that develops a taste for something else in your tank

Koyfam16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
there are a ton of different file fish out there. do your research and make sure its the aiptasia eating kind. I had one for about 4 months. ate the aiptasia and ate plenty of foods I introduced into the tank. I have zoas, duncans, gongorians, shrooms, softies...never saw him picking. as long as they are well fed, like most fish they will tend to stear clear of corals. but very important to get the correct subspecies. and of course no fish is completely reef safe. there is always that one of every kind that develops a taste for something else in your tank

I should have snagged yours but was gone before I knew it.

Breaking down my tank anyway. Taking a break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: