Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2007, 11:35 AM
RM Staff:  - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (36 (97%)
Friends: (41)
Send a Private Message
Yo Brian,
Randy from Pratt. Long time how are you? Hope you enjoy MR.

RD
Old 04-18-2007, 11:39 AM
One to Ignore
Reefer Ratings: (23 (100%)
Friends: (5)
Send a Private Message
House of Fish was demonstrating one of these aquariums at the frag swap. It really is a beautifull looking aquarium.

It seems to me that cleaning both sides of the glass shouldn't be a problem, just use two "inside halves" of a magfloat.

When you pay too much, you lose a little money, that's all
When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything,
because the thing you bought was incapable of
doing the thing it was bought to do

John Ruskin (1819-1900)
Old 04-18-2007, 12:05 PM
Reefer Ratings: (10 (100%)
Friends: (25)
Send a Private Message
i studied the zeroedge website, and they claim that they've got the evaporation "problem" fixed - that in fact, evaporation is not much more than an regular aquarium - and i would imagine it has a lot to do with surface tension...

also, saltcreep is probably less than in a typical aquarium, since saltcreep is caused by evaporation when there is water splashed and then the water evaporates but leaves the salt. they say that the only time saltcreep is an issue is when you let the water levels drop too low, which makes sense - so if you can set up an automatic top-off, salt creep should be much less than in a typical tank.

on the other hand, keeping folks (particularly very young ones) from touching the tank is a problem. House of fish had this tank at the swap - it was indeed hot, looked GREAT. it was displayed low for top-down viewing - i am wondering whether they'll make one that is higher up - then it will be less of a tease for folks to touch maybe?

then again, maybe not.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:32 PM
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by prattreef View Post
Yo Brian,
Randy from Pratt. Long time how are you? Hope you enjoy MR.

RD
Heya Randy!!!

Yeah it's been way too long...anyway I'm back and as you can see working for ZeroEdge Aquarium. Tried to make it to frag swap, but couldn't find a boat to bring me in from Jersey. Hope we run into each other soon. I'll be at Aquarium-U in Atlanta in 2 weeks.

Read all about it in Advanced Aquarist!
Old 04-18-2007, 12:50 PM
Send a Private Message
The most common questions regarding the Zeroedge Aquarium deal with evaporation, salt creep, cleaning and touching.

Evaporation and salt creep were major problems when ZeroEdge first came to market about 4 years ago. But since then the problems have been worked out. Today, evaporation ranges from 1/2 gallon to about a gallon, depending on lighting and size of the aquarium. It's really a non-issue, especially when most reefers have dosers, dosing pumps, etc..

Salt creep is going to occur on any salt water tank. Most salt creep build-up occurs from very small air bubbles that fizz and pop at the waters surface. The splashing and surface agitation from the return adds to this. The design of the ZeroEdge makes it virtually impossible for salt creep to occur. These tanks have little or no salt creep due to the steady stream of overflowing water and gentle channeling of water to the sump filter box. Of course you will have salt creep in your sump, jsut as any other tank.

As far as cleaning goes, all tanks have to be cleaned. With this tank, yes you may want to clean both sides with a acyrlic safe pad. But nothing is cooler than having snails help you clean the outside of your tank!!! That's not possible with a regular tank.

Don't touch the tank!! LOL! It's a riot, it's gonna happen. The glass like appearance of a ZeroEdge invites people to touch..they just can't bellieve what they see. It comes with owning an ultra-cool tank!!!

Old 04-18-2007, 01:17 PM
Goniopora isn't VD!
Reefer Ratings: (21 (100%)
Friends: (1)
Send a Private Message
Like they said, there was one at the swap.....
Here is a pic
Old 04-18-2007, 01:25 PM
Reefer Ratings: (111 (100%)
Friends: (44)
Send a Private Message My Facebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroedge View Post
Don't touch the tank!! LOL! It's a riot, it's gonna happen. The glass like appearance of a ZeroEdge invites people to touch..they just can't bellieve what they see. It comes with owning an ultra-cool tank!!!
I'd have to get the Platinum upgrade with that tank

Old 04-25-2007, 12:51 AM
Send a Private Message
SaltwaterU

Next weekend May 5th & 6th, we'll be displaying our bowfront FLEX series at SaltwaterU 3 in Atlanta. If you're in the vicinity, it would be well worth your while to stop by!! Please take a few minutes and get familar with SaltwaterU, their efforts are worth taking note of.

Also we have started a blog..please join it at http://www.zeroedgeaquarium.com/zeroblog/

Old 04-25-2007, 10:56 PM
Send a Private Message
Please take a few minutes and get familar with http://www.SaltwaterU.com , their efforts are worth taking note of. Next weekend May 5th & 6th, we'll be displaying our bowfront FLEX series at SaltwaterU 3 in Atlanta. If you're in the vicinity, it would be well worth your while to stop by!!

Also we have started a blog..please join it and join in at http://www.zeroedgeaquarium.com/zeroblog/