Archmage

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Having recently purchased something from Joe's warehouse, I was dismayed to see three aiptasias on it. Where can I get a needle in manhattan for the inglorious task of ridding myself of these pests? I tried duane reade, and other than a weird look, got nothing from that exchange.

Thanks

mgchan

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
What you want is an irrigation syringe:

http://www.wisementrading.com/firstaid/supplies.htm

irrigation_syringe.jpg

Most drug stores should carry this.

[ October 15, 2003, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: mgchan ]

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
I would NOT use the irigation syringe, you need to inject kalk directly into their bodies.

I have an extra needle in Union Square if you want it.

Also, Aiptasia, unless they are large, are very hard to hit with a needle. I usually only use it for anemonias. Peppermint shrimp are one hundred times better for dealing with them.

C

Crakeur2

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
stop aiptasia. It is a pepper based liquid that is 100% reef safe and it comes with a needle.

or, you can go to a methodone clinic and pose as a junky

or, you can try and raise satchmo from the dead (anyone seen that boy?). he works in a hospital and can usually get all kinds of good medical supplies. Hell, he packs his frags in biohazzard bags.

Archmage

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys,

I picked up an irrigation syringe and boiled hydrogen peroxide and the heated peroxide melted one of the larger ones into a blob that bubbled up and disappeared. Looks like I don't really need a needle at this point. I am going to wait for the others to get bigger before I use the same treatment.

C

Crakeur2

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bad idea to wait. they don't always get larger. sometimes they clone off as they spread and you end up with a field of tiny ones.

better to do what you can now. proactive vs. reactive.

for the small ones, that stop aiptasia stuff can be sprayed onto them. I have a bottle of it and it really does work.

DallasNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Here's another source for needles..

http://www.vista-dental.com/

You just have to tell them that the needles are for a hobby. I think they had me fax them something that said so.

I was able to find these applicator tips (Appli-vac) that can be bent, which helps get the point into crevices.

Picture:
http://home.nyc.rr.com/dnolty/needles.jpg

I had to buy like 50 needles, so I have a few I can spare...

DallasNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
As for killing them.

For me, 'stop aptasia' knocked them down, but they always seemed to come back right from the spot they were killed.

Kalk-Wasser worked best for me,but I was never able to get them all.

I tired and tried pepperment shrimp like five times with no results. However, the pepperment shrimp we got in the last group buy ARE doing the trick!

When ever I see an aptasia, I will usually mark the glass with a greese pencil to remind me to give them a zap next time my hands are in the tank. Lately when I do go back into the tank, I notice the aptasia is already gone!

So Josh is right. Peppermint shrinp are they way to go. If they don't work the first time, try some from another place..

Bori

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, my Pep took care of my aptasia "&" my colony of yellow polyps. They (YP) are just making a comeback after a few months with only 2-3. Only good thing is that I haven't seen a aptasia in months. --Rob--

[ October 17, 2003, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: Bori ]

Dave ESPI

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
argh.. I still fail to se why people are hell bent on wipeing out Aiptasia.....

they really are inoculious and harmless unless they are directly irritating other corals in close proximity.

and,
you don't have to inject them.

mix up a thick paste, and use an eye dropper and suck it up and then simply blast the top of the anemone with it in the concentrated paste form. it will still do its caustic duty.

FWIW, leave the anemones alone. They are excelent filter feeders, and can add some character to a tank. I have 4 show tanks that have them in them, and rarely do I have a conflict.

It's called reef management ie: ENVIRONMENTAL CONSERVATION ;)

not Genocide.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: