Archmage

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the last week, I've been noticing that my piece with about a dozen or so yellow polyps had been thinning somewhat. Didn't pay much attention to it, but then yesterday, I looked closely at several of the polyps. Imagine my dismay when I saw four or 5 of them with several tentacles missing. Some were half-eaten and some were in bad shape because of their missing tentacles(whatever you refer to those fringes).
could it be the peppermint shrimps that I have? They never come out during the day. I know that I read that they can be polyp eaters, but does anyone here have personal experience with this or have seen them actually eat a polyp?

mgchan

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I didn't witness the peppermint shrimps eating my yellow polyps, but they disappeared soon after the introduction of the shrimps!

When I realized my yellow polyps were gone, I'd checked as soon as the lights had gone out and sure enough, the shrimps were making a bee dive to the rock where there used to be yellow polyps!!! :mad:

I was tempted to have shrimps on the barbie!

triggerboy

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cleaner shrimp and a nice rock of Yellow Polyps in my tank.... maybe you can trade the peppermint for a cleaner? I don't know if I just have one that doesn't eat them... but he doesn't touch anything, the most model citizen in my tank.

4angel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your water parameters and what other live stock do you have. I never heard of a peprmint shrimp chowing down on polyps, then again I never researched this. I assume that you dont have other types of polyp coral, I wouldnt think a shrimp would limit it self to just yellow.

[ October 20, 2003, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: 4angel ]

mgchan

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I didn't think it was possible either.

IMO, yellow polyps (at least the ones I had) are similar to the Aips. They're not as thick and 'meaty' like the regular Zoos. They're thin and flow in the current like Aips.

So, it's possible that the peps sees them as Aips, but tastier... gourmet Aips!!!

[ October 21, 2003, 08:36 AM: Message edited by: mgchan ]

Bori

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to be the Pep. Mine took care of my aptasia as well as a colony of yellow polyps. After getting rid of it(Flame hawk had a snack) the YP are finally comming back. --Rob--

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: