Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

New to the board, and so glad to find it! I just set up my 90 gallon tank last Thursday, with help from Thousand Island Aquarium in Brooklyn (who rock!).

My question is about the quality of the Manhattan tap water. I bought an RO/DI unit, but haven't set it up yet because it seems very involved. We'll get it set up eventually, but right now our kitchen water has a Culligan filtration system on it...is this good enough to make water for changes? We used it for the inital tank water, and I've been using it for top offs.

Right now, I have 2 clowns and 2 cleaner shrimp. Haven't seen any algae, and my ammonia and nitrites are at (or close to) 0.

Thanks in advance,
Jodi

pmui

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
hi Jodi,

if you start with RO/DI water, you'll be happy in several months when you do not get an algae bloom. If start off by cutting corners, you'll pay for it in the end with the never ending battle with this stuff. good luck, happy reefing!

Peter

triggerboy

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could spend a few bucks on a Tap Water Purifier (Aqua Pharma)... it's like 30 bucks from Dr Foster Smith... you'll get about 60-70 gallons from 1 cartridge... that's what I use because I rent, and can't touch anything plumbing wise without my landloard going ape. I know it's kinda throwing money away considering you already have the ro/di unit... but it's better than nothing.

The water around here tastes great, but isn't the best for reefs. I'd be weary using straight tap... eventually algae and cyano will probably rear it's ugly head.

J.

4angel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the board NYCJodi I would have to agree with pmui and advise on getting the RO/DI unit up and running. The H2O around here is extreemly high with Phosphates a primary algea culprit. I would recomend that you purchase a Phosphate test kit (inexpensive)and test your tanks H2O. If your near the uper west side I would let you borrow mine. I own a three stage ro/di system which I riged up with a pull ot plug which I conect directly to the faucet and remove when I am not using.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. I will get a phosphate test kit asap to test the tap, and try to push the handyman in the house to set up the RO/DI unit. I bought a complicated 6-stage unit off e-bay, and am regretting going overboard. I'm sure a simpler unit would have been fine. And easier to set up. Sigh.
banghead.gif

Does anyplace sell RO water? Just so I can do topoffs, since I'm not due for a water change for awhile...

4angel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your gonna go that rout may I suggest getting some distilled at the local market. Sure would beat lugging RO/DI from the LFS. Im sure you will hear stuff about distilled as well but I had to use it initially and it worked for me.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Jodi

Welcome -

I just set one of these units up for someone from this board and it was not as complicated as it seems - dealing what you get from actually spending some time under your sink - now thats where things get dicey!

In the meantime, you can use Great Bear Purified water (make sure it says purified) because it is produced by Reverse Osmosis - and reads a total of 3 on the TDS meter - checked that last night while doing the install for this guy -

Anyhow, hope that helps,

House

S

stealyourhouse

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Jodi,

Just so you know, 1 week really isn't enough time to tell anything about your tank. Most people wait at least a month for their tank water to become inhabited with beneficial bacteria before introducing any fish.

If you don't see any algae now, you will in a few weeks. It happens to everybody. But using RO/DI water will definitely give you a shorter outbreak than just plain old tap water.

Marc

[ October 24, 2003, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: stealyourhouse ]

C

Crakeur2

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
while I agree 100% that using a ro/di or even plain old distilled from Duane Reade is a far better choice than tap, I will say this much.

In SoHo (where I used to live and where my parents now live) I kept several tanks and used tap water with absolutely no ill effects. the 72 in my dad's place is stellar.

16th and 3rd (old apartment) had crappy pipes so I used distilled (big pain for a 60)

34th and 7th. Office 180 uses tap with absolutely no ill effects. No algae in the tank, other than the stuff we take from the hamptons to feed the tangs. Nothing on the glass, other than in the back where direct sunlight has some effect.

57th and 3rd - my 29 uses distilled from Duane Reade. The water in my building is pumped thru copper pipes and the landlord is a cheap bastard so I never even bothered testing the tap. Using distilled from day one.

Some water might be fine and if you are inclined to use it, test it for every possible pollutant prior to putting one drop in the tank. However, ro/di or distilled is a far better alternative.

N

nunzilla

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Most Ro/DI units come with a 3/4" hose style connector on them, you can go to home depot or the web and order an adapter for your sink faucet. I have a spectrapure 4 stage unit, I think you can even get an adapter from them.

I'd re-sell the 6 stage on ebay and get a unit designed for aquaria.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: