Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2007, 05:57 PM
Swap Crew:  - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (9 (100%)
Friends: (14)
Send a Private Message
Danny - that was a nice sized fuge. Also, I love that you only had 3 fish. Ronen told me not to get anymore fish back when I only had 3 little ones. I should have listened. I had no nitrates, no phosphates, clear water...The problem is that now I am attached to the fish and can't get rid of them.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Ras Tafari
Reefer Ratings: (5 (100%)
Friends: (3)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr View Post
I will start with a simple statement. A refugium is not a substitute for good husbandry.
exactly. good husbandry is what makes a tank sink or swim....whether its with a fuge or not.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:55 PM
chicks dig beckett men
Reefer Ratings: (25 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
As discussed on other threads in regards to fuges, topics brought up were size and bioload. A couple of posts showed how size and bioload play into these and what the overall purpose you plan to use the fuge for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loismustdie View Post
If I found a tank like that on my living room floor, I would hit my dog on the nose with a newspaper.
*no dogs were harmed in the making of my signature

Last edited by Deanos; 04-08-2007 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: Let's stay on topic.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:01 PM
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Send a Private Message
I agree good husbandry does make a tank work or not. For me although the pictures of my tank before I sold it does show some bad husbandry. Mostly because I haven't really had the time for the last year, and have been planning on trying to sell what I could (should have sold it last year) At the time of sale, there was mabye 5 visable hermits, and only one snail. The last water change was done probably 6-8months ago.

However my tank had 0 nitrates. For me nitrates were always a problem. And the refugium solved this problem permentently.
All my corals grew fine. (I even had a plate coral and a hard green coal)

Wheither no not you do a fuge is of course up to you, but I also found more cool things to look at like pods, or baby turbos a while back, that normally would have just been fishfood.

I am thinking of trying to breed come clowfish once I find my new place, and am hoping that the fuge, offers me the same nitrate reduction (and hopefully water change reduction) as I beleive it did in my reef.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:13 PM
Reefer Ratings: (15 (100%)
Friends: (1)
Send a Private Message
refugiums

Hi! Leslie:

I always like to have large filters, It can't hurt. That is why a fuge will work if you keep your bioload small & have live food in the tank. what the fish don't eat, live for another day. I also had about 25 large mangrove plants in my fuge & when a leaf turned brown I plucked it & tossed. If you read the discussion on mangroves in this section, they do work.

still recuperating from drinking.

danny
Old 12-11-2007, 06:57 PM
Lissa
Reefer Ratings: (18 (100%)
Friends: (15)
Send a Private Message
I'm going to bump this thread (been a while).

I argued a bit for fuges earlier, but I think I've changed my mind (that's right Chris, I know you're lurking, YOU WIN). In the month or so since I switched my tank over, I have seen my nutrients go down. I have almost zero algae in my new tank ... not even an algae bloom despite adding more rock, a new sand bed, and moving the whole shebang. I'm using the same equipment with greater water volume and it still looks better. I was going to set up my fuge again, but I think I've decided against it now.

Still interested in other people's experiences with fuges though.

My 75g Tank (ran 9/08 - 10/09)
40br Upgrade (ran 12/07 - 9/08)
29g Tank Log (ran 11/06 - 12/07)

The best advice I can give to any new reefer: FWE every frag you get.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:09 PM
Vendor: WingoLED
Reefer Ratings: (119 (99%)
Friends: (56)
Send a Private Message
Can you also provide a time line as to when you did what so that we can understand better the relations between your actions and the maturity of the tank?

A Presentation of Tank Bred Designer Clownfish and other Live Stock

WingoLED.com..... Email WingoAgency@yahoo.com ........... SMS/Text: 347 878 3092
Old 12-11-2007, 10:33 PM
Greek god
Reefer Ratings: (11 (100%)
Send a Private Message
I went from a fuge in my sump with DSB, live rocks and chaeto. Phosphate problems due to detritus getting trapped everywhere. I then went without it and had much lower levels of po4, yet my nitrate slowly climbed up and up.
I now just use a small ball of chaeto in my sump with PLENTY of flow on it so detritus doesn't get stuck in it. Nitrates have come down and po4 hasn't gone up.

Nate
Old 12-12-2007, 03:42 AM
Re-reefer
Reefer Ratings: (36 (100%)
Friends: (1)
Send a Private Message
After my recent outbreak of hair & all other types of alga, I decided to do the same; reduce the amount of cheato in the fuge (loose softball size), & increase water flow. I also went back to the DIY 100 micron filter sock due to the large amounts of detritus accumulating in the cheato.

Hopefully, I will see the algae die back. And to think, my tank was virtually algae free when I was running sumpless. I have to agree that unless your vegetable filter is of a considerable size in comparison to your DT, the result will most likely be detrimental vs beneficial.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:40 PM
Reefer Ratings: (15 (100%)
Friends: (12)
Send a Private Message
Well as someone that started the tank somewhere else and can bring in fresh eye's to this. In the Boston Reefers club just about everyone there has a refugium. And the algae i am currently growing is julian's red sea vegetables, or some form of it. So it's free food while sucking up nitrates.