E

Emery

Hi everyone... this is my first post on here.

I moved to NYC about a year ago (leaving my favorite hobby, aquariums, behind. Now that im settled I wanted to get back into the game but my search of saltwater aquarium stores in NYC has turned up very poor results.

There must be more than one store in NYC other than that poorly rated "new world aquarium." The only other place I know of is Petco in union Square (their fish float)

My transportation is limited so id love to hear of any other stores actually in Manhattan.

Thanks in advance

-Emery

NaClH2oTANK

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Emery
I go to Greenwich Ct and to Hackensack NJ for my live stuff. The store, Reef Encounter, in Hackensack is not that difficult to get to by bus. Check out the NJ transit website. You can call them at 201 229 0555 to ask which bus stops outside thier store. I forget.
As for House of Fins in Greenwich Ct., metro north would be the way to go. The store is not far from the trian station.
ANyone here interested in a car pool to some stores?
I drive.
Frank

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
There are a couple of place that can be reached by train.

Coral Aquarium in Jackson Heights the 7, E or F trains.

Island Reef and Fin is in Brooklyn and can also be reached by train.

Joe place on 511 West 33 st. between 10th and 11 ave.

The Petsheld, or that what it was called, is on Broadway and 98th street.

and if you can make the trip Fish Town USA in located in Queens on Northern Bvld.

There aren't many which is very sad. :(

Michael

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
First - Welcome to MR.com

And, Ditto on the Nunzilla commentary -

Also, I am sure you could find a guy (or gal) who'd be willing to work something out and assist with the driving. I am constantly coming into Manhattan to pick up a friend and we road trip to Absolutley or House of Fins (no relation).

Also, New World is about one of the best situated places in the city (decent livestock) but way too pricey.

Anyhow, if you need a ride, lemme know - I am there at the very least every two weeks.

House

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's true, we have very few fish stores in manhattan but some stellar ones outside the city.

Joe's place is awesome and he is looking to move into bigger space and petshed is pretty nice but limited in tanks as well.

the other place in the city I won't mention as I would remove my kidneys with a rusty spoon before giving them my business.

more stores coming soon.

S

scottdkk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
who ever said they were intrested in car pools or trips on the train i am down. i do need to check out island reef and fin though

bigmanny

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
N Y Aquaria is worth the trip. I take Metro-North on my way home and I stop there it's about 30 mins. and they are 1/2 a block away from the train station.

E

Emery

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Thanx for the recomendations. Ill definitely check out reef and fin... brooklyn I can handle. Maybe i can get in on one of those group trips to some of the other places you guys have mentioned. I have to get a little money together first.

-Emery

tank

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try the petland at 14 st a block south of petco. There's another petland on nassau st with reef in lower manhattan, but their tank still hasn't recovered from the blackout. there is also a petland on 72 st ?? that has a lot of saltwater.
And of course Fish Town USA

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Island Reef and Fin doesn't have a brick and mortar location posted on their web site. !! Unless I'm more tired than I thought and missed it. Can anyone give me a location?

I'm also at the whim of the MTA, so the closer to a train station, the better! I'd be up for any December outings...if anyone feels like organizing and/or driving!

ISLANDREEFANDFIN

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi nycjodi,

the reason for no address listed is it is by appointment only. I am sure you would be very angry to have arrived to find no one there...so if your interested we are more than willing to have you over shoot an email over and we will make the arrangements!

located currently in brooklyn by the N or W train.

SOON TO BE IN STATEN ISLAND
thanks

Rick
island reef and fin inc.
thumb.gif

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to make an appointment, Rick, or tag along on a group outing, House. I want to get my corals started in my 90g, but I need lots of hand-holding and advice. :) Plus, I'd like to see what I'm getting, as opposed to just buying them sight-unseen online.

jodi

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: