jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Just curious to see how they're all doing. I had mine for 5 months...I lost him last week. It developed some white fungus around the mouth and stopped eating. My water quality is great and I gave it a good diverse diet. Maybe it was cyanide?

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Never heard of any fish from the Red Sea being caught with cyanide? Would thing that since the fish is being kept in a reef tank it could have picked up something in the tank. I remember when I first started my reef tank, back in the 80's, fish would get all kings of dieases and parasites in my reef tank as opposted to fish in my FO tanks,

Michael

triggerboy

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jackson,

I'd think if it lived for 5 months cyanide wouldn't likely be the cause...

As for medicines and the such... I've found that putting "kryolic?" garlic extract in my food for a couple weeks has worked wonders. I had a hole about 3/16" in diameter and about half way through the body of my Royal Gramma... 1 week into garlic the hole stopped growing, 2 weeks closed a bit, in 3 weeks it was gone, nothing but a bit of a scar left.

I guess there flesh tastes so bad after the fish eat the garlic nothing wants any part of them!!!! I also did not notice any ill effects on my corals... maybe this will work for you if you have another unfourtunate situtaion in the future.

J.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Yeah...I didn't treat it with anything. In my reef fish a secondary. If undectable nitrates and phosphates, good diet, and correct calcium and alkalinity levels are not enough to make them thrive...so be it. I just wanted to see if anyone else had problems with them so I can blame someone else besides myself :D

Thanks for the replies
puke.gif

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hey Rich,

Yea, I got one of those Fishtown Purple Tangs for $35 about 5 months ago, and he is still doing well. Quite the pig actually. I did have one really bad experience where I glued his mouth shut for a day or two,
banghead.gif
but he got through that like a trooper!!

Did he show signs of being sick before he went?

Rebels23

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
OH CRAP RAY!!! Maybe the white stuff on his mouth was glue!!! I'm always gluing stuff in the tank and he was always pecking around. How did you glue your tangs mouth shut and what happened?

BTW HE was fine until his mouth turned white :rolleyes:

[ December 18, 2003, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: jackson6745 ]

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!! Now that you mention it, maybe it was because his mouth was glue shut! It happened to me when I was glueing a frag in my tank, and the power head accidentally blew a glob off the frag when I put it in the tank. My purple tang being the pig he was, chased right after it, and it glued his mouth shut instantly. He couldn't eat for a whole day even though he wanted to. I felt so bad and help-less, all I did was sit there for a few hours, staring at him. Luckily, he was able to eat the next day. But it took a while before the white ring disappeared from his mouth. I posted about it on reefcentral :

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=272023&highlight=Rebels23

Rebels23

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Don't worry about it Rich. I am not sure there would have been much you could have done anyway. When it happened to me, I was going to tear the tank down and get him out. After seeking advice from other board members, I decided it wasn't the best idea. Tearing down the tank would have stressed everything else out in the tank (corals and fish). And there was no guarantee I could get the glue off from his mouth.

How long was he swimming around with the white stuff on his mouth.

Rebels23

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: