NaClH2oTANK

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure if this is the correct board for this, but...
How many of you use price as the ultimate determining factor when frequenting a pet store?
Do you go to the one with the best price or the best selectin with the highest quality?
I am a blue collar worker, no extra money and I should be more frugal. BUT when it comes to my hobby price is almost irrelevant. Almost. LOL.
seriously though, dont you agree that good selection and high quality are worth the price? I mean, it aint cheap keeping a stores tanks in top shape. we all know the price of additives and water changes. Not to mention quality staff salaries.
I worked over a year in a well know LFS in Jersey. Once I was a customer in for over 10 years. And it amazes me how in the store and here and other boards people were more concerned with comparing prices than comparing quality. Maybe alot of hobbyists dont know hwo to determine quality. I dont know. What's your opinion?

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I would never buy from a store that has bad fish even if the prices where good. Just wouldn't take the chance of messing my system up.

When I go looking for fish I will pay extra if I think the fish is rare or something that I really want. I still look for the best price, that why I go to FishTown alot even though the quality isn't as good as say Aboustly Fish but you can't beat their prices. I still like to go to the high price places, like Aboustly Fish but mayn't buy anything, just look around and it's also a nice ride.

As far as quality, I've been collection fish for quite sometime and consider myself knowledgeable enough to see if a fish is ok or not, still nothing is 100% fool proof and everyone either buys something that dies or take a chance on a fish or coral and it doesn't turn out good.

I think most people on Fish Boards have been in the hobby awhile and know what is quality so it then comes down to trying and getting the best deal. Still most people in the hobby, even if they get the best prices, will just use the saving to buy more.

Michael

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
We all look to save a buck weather we have the cash or not. There is a coral store near my house run by an old Chinese man who has a terrible saltwater setup but he gets in some really nice corals which usually die in less than a week. I make sure I'm there when he gets in new stuff so he doesn't get a chance to kill it...LOL. I got some really great deals like nice sized acro colonies for $30 and crocea clams for $30.
IMO as long as a coral is still alive (if the price is right) it's worth taking a chance. When buying fish I will only purchase healthy specimens from stores with good setups. It doesn't pay to save a few bucks on a fish that is going to spread disease to the fish in your tank.

triggerboy

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to go the cheap route as much as possible for fish... (ie. make Petco my last stop to see if they had the same fish cheapest) Not to bash them, but I've learned you do get what you pay for the hard/expensive way... since I've given up on trying to get the best deal, and buy from places like Absolutley Fish and New World (king of price) I've had much better luck.

The main difference is the staff... I will trust someone in one of those stores compared to the people at a Petco or Petland... in the long run their advice is worth the extra 15% for the right answers and usually healthier fish.

A

apparent

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would never buy saltwater fish from petland at least the one next to me they were trying to sell live rock that no lie looked like they went outside and chipped away pieces of the sidewalk and through it in the tank for $7.99lb and then i see them with a green garden hose hooked up to the sink filling up the evaporated water in the sw tanks not to even mention half there fish are belly up in the tanks

[ January 16, 2004, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: apparent ]

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mind spending more if the store has what I want. However, I don't think that higher price means better livestock and it definitely doesn't mean more knowledgeable sales staff.

NWA is the highest priced store in the area because his rent is high and because there is so little competition. He can charge what he wants. I have seen the sales staff sell half dead corals, seen them sell two completely non-compatile fish and I've seen them sell inverts and invert eating fish to the same people.

The staff in all stores might be knowledgeable but they are there to sell you stuff and the almighty dollar comes first.

I have had mixed results with fish from petco and petland. If a fish can survive in their tanks, they can probably survive anywhere.

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have to admit, when I go shopping for reef stuff, the prices are always in my mind. I am always looking for a bargain!
But at the same time I want quality too. I don't mind paying the extra dollar if I know I am getting something good. Especially with this hobby, you learn very quickly that if you do it the right way the first time, you do end up saving money in the long run.

I use to think New World's prices were outrageous. But to tell you the truth, I have been stopping in there every now and then and have been actually buying stuff. Even though their prices are higher, I am satisfied because everything I have bought from them has done well so far. So I don't mind paying the extra bucks, if I know I am getting qaulity.

[ January 17, 2004, 03:00 AM: Message edited by: Rebels23 ]

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: