NaClH2oTANK

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
s anyone experienced thier pumps binding up from calcium building up on the impellers?
Twice so far I had to take mine apart and clean them out. Also, the calcium coats anything made of plastic(except the vinyl tubing).
What could this be from? My calium levels and Alk levels are pretty good. All the time.

Also, has anyone ever mixed white vinegar with Kalc powder then added it it to water to make thier sollution?
thanks
Frank

P

Pedro

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally do not use kalk anymore but i have heard of people that mix the two together and get great results.

Don't know if you know this already, but you can use the same vinegar to clean your pumps from any calcium deposits.

hth

triggerboy

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used vinegar in my kalk... but I've used such little amounts it probably didn't make much of a differnce... alothough it seemed to mix up the kalk and water a bit better (could be more in my head wanting to see a difference than actual though)

As for cleaning pumps... vinegar works great... I drop all my pumps in warm water and vinegar and let them run for a hour or so every couple months. It works great. EuroReef actaully tells you do do this with the Sedra pump every 6 months to keep it in good working order... so it's a legit way to do things.

I've also used vinegar in water to clean salt and junk off my tank... it's alot safer to use than any soap or cleaner, works half way decent too... if you don't mind he smell... uuugghhh.

J.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I used kalk and vinegar for a long time to keep up with my calcification rates (I use a reactor now). The vinegar makes the kalk solution more potent. If plain old saturated kalwasser is not enough to keep up your cal and alk, start by adding 10ml of vinegar per gallon of kalwasser. I have added up yo 40ml per gallon and had no problems. Make sure you mix the kalk poder and vinegar first (you'll feel it heat up) then add water to it.
Adding vinegar to your kalkwasser will not keep pumps from binding up. If you keep high calcium levels in your reef you must clean your pumps as regular maintence. I run my pumps for 1/2 hour in a 2 1/2 gallon fish tank with a whole big bottle of vinegar and some tap water to free up any calcium build up.

HTH,
Rich

[ January 19, 2004, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: jackson6745 ]

NaClH2oTANK

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the replies. i did use vinegar to clean the calcium frt its such a drag to do all that work since my pumps are plumbed. buom my pumps. but, thats the price we pay I guess. lol. thanks again

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: