mgchan

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Since setting up my tank (36gal BF) with LR and adding critters (Sept '02), I've occasionally heard 'clicks' that I'd attributed to the hermit crabs knocking into each other or the glass. Early on in the hobby I thought it might've been a MS but after fruitless daytime & nighttime searches I gave up.

Well yesterday while moving some frags around I heard the unmistakeable 'click' and saw some movement out of the corner of my eye. At first I saw one of my Chitons but then out of a hole, the opening the thickness of a pencil, I saw this tiny 'albino' looking thing coming out and attacking the Chiton. Everytime it hit either the shell of the Chiton or the LR, I heard the 'click.' As the Chiton was moving along near the opening, the MS kept twisting its body to track the Chiton.

It could be the one reason why I've lost some snails and hermit crabs over time but again... maybe not!

For now I plan on leaving it in the tank and monitoring it. It's still tiny and if I've had it since 9/02, then it hasn't grown much. Of course it could've hitch-hiked recently in a LR of a coral, but it's the same 'click' I've been hearing all along. Or maybe there's more than one of 'em!!! :eek:

It's simply amazing what shows up in your tank when you least expect it!

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
I have that clicking problem too in my 72bf, so far my turbo snails and conch are fine. I am missing some nassirus snail tho? I'm thinking its either a small mantis shrimp or a pistol shrimp. Don't really feel like taking down my live rock out just to get it. As long as it doesn't bother my conch.........yet?

[JWS]wasabi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just speakin from experience, if you take a pencil and whack it on a table, that is the sound a pistol shrimp makes.
if the sound is not quite as loud, and sometiems varies to sound more like cracking rock or shells... then u gotz a mantis.

also, a pistol will make some big sanddrifts around its house, and you will probably see sand getting kicked out from under a rock once in a while. a mantis tends to live IN the rock as opposed to under it.

my $0.02

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Well I have had my tank for over a year, and the other day, I noticed alot of sand being kicked up and my corals sliming. When I looked closer, I caught this thing peeping out of my rocks :

mantisshrimp.jpg

It looks like a mantis shrimp to me. All I know is I had 25 nassarius snails in my tank a few months ago, and now they are all dead..... :eek:

[ January 21, 2004, 12:44 AM: Message edited by: Rebels23 ]

[JWS]wasabi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are several mantis traps out there.. I had a mating pair of em when I got 30lb from tampabay saltwater 2 years ago..
(which was kinda cool)

If you checkout the mantis forums on reefcentral they have links to which traps are good. I would reccomend NOT taking out all your rock and tryin to catch em by hand like I did.
If you catch that guy take a good pic, im sure someone will take it for a small fee/trade.

E

erik2003

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about any one els but if you want to get rid of it, I would be willing to abopt it. I have a small tank, and think it would be cool to do a species tank with.

mgchan

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Actually I'm very happy to have it... until it starts getting bigger than my fish or starts having them for lunch!

It's like the two Chitons that I have... I don't mind them eating the coralline, as long as they don't strip my tank of them.

I hope the MS turns out to be a cool color, not this albino looking thing!!!

[ January 21, 2004, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: mgchan ]

frostbite

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Rebels, I have an exterminator trap that I have never used before, if you like you can borrow it to get this guys out of your tank? I have been told that they work pretty well.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: