• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

The pic on your avatar is one the coolest reefs pics I've ever seen. Is that your tank?

A

Anonymous

Yes. We get a "Staff Pick" tank at work and that one is mine. Thanks!

Rich has a really cool set of tanks that I think he should post pictures of too. His even have fancy shmancy cuttlefish swimming in them...

A

Anonymous

Matt_":2kamp1js said:
Yes. We get a "Staff Pick" tank at work and that one is mine. Thanks!

Rich has a really cool set of tanks that I think he should post pictures of too. His even have fancy shmancy cuttlefish swimming in them...

8)

A

Anonymous

Mac_1962":5w19y6hm said:
The pic on your avatar is one the coolest reefs pics I've ever seen. Is that your tank?

Wow, Mac and I are in agreement on something. :P

Matt, we need more pics! :D

A

Anonymous

Take this topside you slackers :wink:

Oh, and that ava is a great tank shot :D

A

Anonymous

It is a very cool shot.

It almost looks like it's a shot from a real reef in the ocean.

Louey

A

Anonymous

That is pretty nice.

I would like to visit your place of business if I could get out there one of these days.

A

Anonymous

Ah didn't realized you changed your pic Matt... but now that I see it, yup I recognize it as your staff tank :D

A

Anonymous

That's the nicest shot of the tank. It is insanely hard to get a FTS because it's low light (70WMH). If you blew up my avatar you'd see it's super grainy and blurry.

Below is the way I did the vertical rockwork, it's a piece of molded fiberglass suspended from a PVC strut with multiple zip ties. It's hollow so the fish can get behind it, makes a nice little cave for refuge. The base of the rockwork is actual live rock. A lot of the plumbing and powerheads are hidden behind the fiberglass.

The tank itself is really still in its infancy, there's a lot of Tubastrea but I need to get it spawning. The T. micrantha (black species) is growing well though.

Attachments

263 KB · Views: 501
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks James!

Tank specs: 36" x 36" x 36" cube. 1" thick acrylic. 200g display, 300g system total volume.

I run it at around 76 degrees.

Fish list:
1.1.0 Hoplolatilus purpureus
7.2.0 Pseudanthias tuka
8.3.0 Pseudanthias randalli
1.2.0 Pseudanthias lori
1.2.0 Pseudanthias ventralis
1.2.0 Serranocirrhitus latus
0.0.1 Ptereleotris grammica
0.0.1 Nemateleotris helfrichi
0.0.1 Trimma tevegae
0.0.1 Chaetodon mitratus (keeps the Aiptasia at bay)

to be added
0.0.2 Liopropoma carmabi ;)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt_":bg835tox said:
The tank itself is really still in its infancy, there's a lot of Tubastrea but I need to get it spawning. The T. micrantha (black species) is growing well though.

Oh, micrantha is one stunning coral in the proper environment! More pics please sir!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's a 200g tank? It sure doesn't look that large, although it is hard to see it all from the front :D

My membership ends at the end of this month, I'll see what I can do about going down there and snapping a photo... not sure if they allow tripods though, might be some sort of hazard (although mine is quite collapsible :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I'm going to take a good luck at the rockwork, since I've been thinking about doing that on the back pane of the aquarium to make it look more like a shelf. Had this crazy idea of cutting rock on the tile saw to make flat sides and gluing that against the back some how.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hehe. Exact opposite of my tank. I wanted to have no rocks touch the glass this time :P

I still want to see a FTS even if it's grainy ;)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well there's a difference between having rocks touch the surface (i.e. piling them against it) and having the surface become one large rock face.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":2rpkj7y2 said:
Hehe. Exact opposite of my tank. I wanted to have no rocks touch the glass this time :P

I still want to see a FTS even if it's grainy ;)

The rock/fiberglass actually doesn't touch the sides of the tank at any point. 8) If I had planned it better I could have had them not touch the bottom pane either.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jamesw":22hmcx1p said:
Yeah - three words: tripod and self timer :)

Cheers
James

The fish will still be super blurry. We can try lighting it brighter temporarily though.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: